Question

Top Student
Muhammad680
Message 1 of 17 (23,031 Views)

Biometric Device not working

Hi i recentlu got Hp DV6-6156ea and it fingerprint has stopped working if i go to the boimetric device in Control Panel it says this "Windows did not find any biometric device on this computer" so could please any1 help me with this.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 17 (23,010 Views)

Re: Biometric Device not working

Hi Muhammad,

You may get away with just reinstalling the Validity Sensor Driver for your fingerprinter.  The Driver controls the hardware.  The Software controls the password database.

Assuming:

Windows 7 is your Operating System

and

SimplePass software  V5.3.1.7

then

this is your driver:

Validity Sensor Driver - 4.3.205.0

Save this package on your computer.

Install Validity Sensor Driver:       

• Anytime there is a previous version of the driver on the computer, it may need to be removed.  Control panel > Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Right-Click Validity Sensor > Uninstall
  • Reboot …and log in.
  • Install the Validity Sensor Driver installation package:  It will be named sp*.exe – the package will most likely be located in the Downloads folder.  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

I hope this helps.

Say “Thanks!” – Click the Kudos Star whenever you find a Post that helps you.

Mark the Post “Accepted Solution” to say the solution provided worked for you.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Top Student
Muhammad680
Message 3 of 17 (22,976 Views)

hi  i tried it but it didn't work when i re-booted my laptop it automatically installed it but my fingerprint still doesn't work.

my fingerprint reader light is also not turned on.

i went into biometric devices in control panel and it says no fingerprint detected.

so is there a soloution for this?

Grad Student
icp_wolverine
Message 4 of 17 (22,966 Views)

found a solution that may help.. on the bottom of your laptop is a sticker with your p/n number use the set of letters and numbers before the # (ie WA783UA#ABA you would use the WA783UA)
click on the support and drivers link at top of this page and type in the p/n like i mentioned... then from the right of page there should be a link for drivers click on it then choose your operating system
make sure you choose the correct bit.. then there should be a listing for BIOS click the arrow next to Bios and download the latest version then go thru the prompts to install the bios.. if its turns out to be the same version go ahead and go thru the install .. once its done this might fix your issue with the biometric
Top Student
Muhammad680
Message 5 of 17 (22,962 Views)

i tried it but the installtion fails with an error.They say  "this Bios is not on your Notebook"

i used this

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-100034-1&cc=ie&dlc=en&lc=en...

i rebooted my computer and pressed F2 and i went to Bios management and but it came up with an error if i updates or Roll back.

i also went to System information and this is Bios version i have:

HEWLETT PACKARD F.01 10/08/2011

so what i should i do next?

this laptop is only 3 weeks old

Tutor
inorange
Message 6 of 17 (22,961 Views)

then from the right of page there should be a link for drivers click on it then choose your operating system.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 7 of 17 (22,951 Views)

Hi Muhammad,

It could well be my search technique leaves something to be desired; I cannot find anywhere that the BIOS you have on that system (F.01 10/08/2011) is the BIOS expected to be there.

Here is a way to find out what was on the system when the software was first installed:

• Go to: C:\SYSTEM.SAV\Logs
  • Open (Right-Click on) Sysinfo.log
  • Find "BIOS Version"

The line has the original build BIOS version and Date

Please post.

You may have this file:

• In folder:  C:\SYSTEM.SAV\Logs
  • Open (Right-Click on) oca.txt
  • Find "SMBIOS"
  • Find "SystemSKU"

Line SMBIOS* indicates the install Bios Version

Line SystemSKU contains the Product Number

Please Post that information. Thanks.

========================================================================

I am not as concerned (yet) about the BIOS as I am about that Validity Driver not installing from the sp* file that you downloaded.  Since the driver already on the system is trying to reinstall itself when you reboot (restart) the system, you are not getting a chance to follow the instructions I sent previously.

There are a couple of things to try to install that stubborn driver.  The first method will try a "trickster" method of reinstalling the driver you ready have. You can try this ASSUMING you have the correct driver for the software you have.

SimplePass Versions – software and driver versions “go together”:

SimplePass 2011 V5.0.1.455 - software controls the password database

Goes with

Validity Sensor 4.3.118.0 - driver controls the fingerprint hardware

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SimplePass 2012 V5.3.1.7

Goes with

Validity Sensor Driver 4.3.205.0  (or later)

========================================================================

Install Drivers FIRST - THEN the software.

Installation from the Device Manager

Sometimes the driver just will not reinstall properly.  If all else fails, Try tricking it.

If the driver software is still on the system from a previous installation attempt, it is located in C:\SWSetup\.

You can tell the Device Manager to access and install the package on the system:

Control Panel > icons > Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Right-Click Validity Sensor … >

Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software

Browse to C:\SWSetup\sp*

Be sure the “Include Subfolders” box is CHECKED

If your driver (on the system) is appropriate for your software and computer, reinstalling from the package already on the system may work.  After the installation, Restart (reboot) your computer.

If the driver still won't install, try the following IF you have the sp*.exe package downloaded and available on your computer:

Install Validity Sensor Driver:

Anytime there is a previous version of the driver on the computer, it may need to be removed. 

• Control panel > Device Manager > Biometric Devices > Validity Sensor > Uninstall
  • Reboot
  • Install the Validity Sensor Driver installation package:  It will be named sp*.exe – the package will most likely be located in the Downloads folder.  If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

NOTES on Installation Problems:

If you have problems installing the Driver:

• Add registry cleaning before the Reboot.  See the Tools List.
  • If you still have problems, adddelete driver” to the Uninstall
  • Almost all “nasty” problems with SimplePass can be tracked back to stubborn driver issues.  Be sure to clean out the registry after every attempt. 

Tools List:

Registry Cleaner – CCleaner (Download the free version):

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Speccy - System Information Tool – Select and install the Free Version:

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Let me know what happens...

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Top Student
Muhammad680
Message 8 of 17 (22,927 Views)

hi sorry for the late reply here is my bios info

BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.01, 8/10/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.7

Top Student
Muhammad680
Message 9 of 17 (22,926 Views)

here is the other info

root\cimv2,win32_BIOS,SMBIOSBIOSVersion,F.01

Top Student
Muhammad680
Message 10 of 17 (22,925 Views)

root\wmi,ms_SystemInformation,SystemSKU,A3C37EA#ABU

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation