Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello HP

I get the following type error when using normal logon.

'biometric authentication service is not functioning' Then there is a wait (with dialog box showing hourglass saying please wait) for at least a minute till the logon apears 'please choose passord or wait 30 secsnds' or something (I dint write it down) clicking passord is fine then normal logon. NOTE: normal logon with pasword works fine. It is NOT a problem with user credentials that I can see.

Any ideas please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

qsf123,

Welcome to the HP Forum.

The following may help...

Start with this because there are a number of dependencies on the next fix that may not clear with a simple restart of the Biometric Service by itself:

If you are using a Notebook:

• Close all your programs and shut down the computer
  • Disconnect everything (little Unifier for the keyboard / external mouse can stay)
  • Perform the Hard Reset for your notebook model
  • Boot the computer and log in

ELSE, if you are using a Desktop computer:

• Disconnect USB drives, speakers, other unnecessary devices
  • Unplug the computer for thirty seconds
  • Connect the power (plug in)
  • Reconnect devices
  • Start / Boot the computer and log in

Reminder:  Hard Reset is just a device Reset.  The procedure does not wipe out your files nor does it destroy your Windows setup in any way.  It just "clears the cobwebs".  Depending on the cause of the problem, this kind of "reset" can fix a variety of computer glitches.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Next:

There is a Windows Biometric Service that you can try restarting and see if that clears up the issue with the logon. 

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services >

Click on "Name" to sort by this column >

Scroll down and look for  Windows Biometric Service > Highlight Windows Biometric Service >

Click (in the left column)  Restart the service

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

qsf123,

Welcome to the HP Forum.

The following may help...

Start with this because there are a number of dependencies on the next fix that may not clear with a simple restart of the Biometric Service by itself:

If you are using a Notebook:

• Disconnect everything (little Unifier for the keyboard / external mouse can stay)
  • Perform the Hard Reset for your notebook model
  • Boot the computer and log in

ELSE, if you are using a Desktop computer:

• Disconnect USB drives, speakers, other unnecessary devices
  • Unplug the computer for thirty seconds
  • Connect the power (plug in)
  • Reconnect devices
  • Start / Boot the computer and log in

Reminder:  Hard Reset is just a device Reset.  The procedure does not wipe out your files nor does it destroy your Windows setup in any way.  It just "clears the cobwebs".  Depending on the cause of the problem, this kind of "reset" can fix a variety of computer glitches.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Next:

There is a Windows Biometric Service that you can try restarting and see if that clears up the issue with the logon. 

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Services >

Click on "Name" to sort by this column >

Scroll down and look for  Windows Biometric Service > Highlight Windows Biometric Service >

Click (in the left column)  Restart the service

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks. Restarting the windows biometric service seems to have helped.

I will check it further.

Great advice:smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

You are welcome, I am glad it is sorted.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.