Bios update? for Windows 8 + Recovery CD/DVD (849 Views)
Intern
pka4916
Message 1 of 3 (849 Views)
Accepted Solution

Bios update? for Windows 8 + Recovery CD/DVD

[ Edited ]

I have 2 questions.

1.  When I ran the Windows 8 Update checker (from the upgrade to Windows 8 Email)

it was telling me that the BIOS was not support for some kind of security mode and windows would not

boot up, according to the message.

So, Can I still install it? since I did upgrade to the latest Bios  1A  I believe

2.  Will the be an HP Disc, so I can create a recovery set?  or do I just burn the Windows ISO from MS, and keep the drivers seperate?

thanks

Intern
pka4916
Message 2 of 3 (842 Views)

Re: Bios + CD/DVD

Model: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz Memory: 8.1

This is the error

Secure Boot isn't compatible with your PC
Your PC's firmware doesn't support Secure Boot so you won't be able to use it in Windows 8.

I did update to the latest firmware for Window 8

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 3 of 3 (772 Views)

Bios update? for Windows 8 + Recovery CD/DVD

[ Edited ]

Hello pka4916. I see that you have some questions about upgrading to Windows 8. Here is HP's official information regarding Windows 8 upgrades.

Secure Boot is a new feature of the BIOS and Windows 8 is designed to take advantage of this. Basically Secure Boot keeps you from installing "unathorized" (unsigned) material or operating system to the PC. This is designed to provide more security against malware such as rootkits. If your PC does not have Secure Boot support in its BIOS you will not have this protection. The operating system should still function. Note, however, that if your notebook does not have drivers available for all devices some functions may not work (see link above about HP and upgrading to Windows 8) but lacking Secure Boot should not cause you any issues.

I hope this has been helpful!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

I work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation