Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it's running Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

okay i thought we were done but now i have no programs on the computer and all files are gone.

HP Recommended

Hi,

This may have something to do with whatever caused the problem in the first place, however, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and open Folder Options.  Click the View tab, fill in the radio button titled 'Show hidden files folders and Drives'.  Click apply to make these changes.

Do any of your files now show up in there original locations?

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Please help me I'm having the same issue!
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem but i don't know how to tell what bytes my computer is please help!!???

HP Recommended

Hi, 

thanks for helping us out!

though encountering a problem while typing into the command box

I get to : bootrec /RebuildBcd , then it says that Windows installations have been analysed, number of Windows installations : O, operation successful. For the next steps, it said "opration successful" too.

So then I ejected the disk, rebooted, chose to start windows normally and I still have the black screen with the cursor.

Does it make any difference that mine isn't blinking ? It's just there, and I can move it ? 

Don't know what to do, thought I was so close to fixing it .(

Thanks if you can help !

HP Recommended

Having the same issue. I downloaded and burned the recovery disc but there is no opton to "Repair Your Computer" when I restart with the recovery disc inserted. The HP logo flashes for 2 seconds then goes to the black screen with the blinking cursor, which was the issue to start with.

HP Recommended
I am having the same issue but the computer does not give me an option to "Repair Your Computer" when I restart with the recovery disc inserted. It does nothing different that when I restart with no disc inserted. The HP logo just flashes for 2 seconds then goes to the black screen with the blinking cursor.
HP Recommended

DK - I have done everything listed above (in your last reply) - made the Recovery disk for a 64 bit machine and loaded it in the nonworking notebook, but the notebook is not reading the CD drive.  I have tried rebooting it several times and have turned it off and waited 5 minutes before turning it back on, but still just have the black screen with blinking cursor. 

HP Recommended

I've tried all that was said in the previous comments downloading the rescue cd and going to the command prompt. All my laptop did was turn off and on all night and was still the same screen when i manually turned it off

I really need help this laptop is for my classes!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.