Question

Student
hdcatsmeow
Message 1 of 2 (609 Views)

Blue Screen of Death after bringing up minimized Internet Explorer

Just had a Windows update automatically installed.  After reboot, we can re-create the blue screen of death by:

1)  Open Internet Explorer and have three (or more) tabs active with web sites.

2)  Also have Microsoft Outlook up - go and check email.

3)  Select the active Internet Explorer icon on bottom of screen to bring up active sessions again - Blue Screen of Death occurs.  Must shut computer down.  When it is turned back on, I select to restart Windows normally and all is good again until I repeat steps 1 - 3.

Any ideas?

PhD Student
IT_WinSec
Message 2 of 2 (604 Views)

Re: Blue Screen of Death after bringing up minimized Internet Explorer

Hello,

Thank you for posting in HP Support forum!

I am sorry for the issue you encounter.

Please, write down the name of the HP computer you use. Also, what is your operating system ?

By default when Windows encounters BSOD, it copies the memory to the so called memory dump files. They can be useful to analyze the issue.

Please, click on Start, find the Command prompt (CMD.exe) and run it with elevated rights as Administrator

Please, type wmic RECOVEROS set DebugInfoType = 2

and press ENTER

You'll get a message that command has been executed successfully.

Once ready, repeat the BSOD.

When you next start Windows, a file with this location

%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP

should have been generated. Usually this is C:\Windows\memory.dmp

When you are ready, please let me know and I will provide you a way to submit this file to me so that I analyze it and see what I can see from it.

Please, also test your HDD and RAM from BIOS:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00439024&cc=bg&dlc=en&lc=en

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=bg&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02097000

Thank you!

Best wishes,
IT_WinSec
Technical support engineer
HP employee. MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MTA, CT
I express my personal opinion, not of HP. www.hp.com/makeitmatter
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation