Question

Honor Student
DarrelJ
Message 1 of 8 (33,840 Views)

Bluetooth not enabled on HP Mini

I just got the HP Mini 1033C and can't enable the bluetooth communications.  I looked at another Mini in the store and it did not have bluetooth enabled as well.  I went to the control panel, and into the bios setup, but can't find anyway to enable bluetooth.  When I mouse over the wireless icon in the system tray, it shows wireless is enabled (and I'm using it), but bluetooth is disabled.  The directions point toward the Hardware Device Manager, and I see a bluetooth driver there, but no way to enable/disable bluetooth.

Help!!

Student
DeviantSatan
Message 2 of 8 (33,747 Views)

Re: Bluetooth not enabled on HP Mini

I have the very same issue
Honor Student
DarrelJ
Message 3 of 8 (33,739 Views)

After going to local then HP tech support, I found that this model (1033C) does not support Bluetooth.  Even though it has a driver installed in the system tray, it doesn't have the actual Bluetooth hardware on the circuit board.  I thought this was misleading, but upon looking at the specs and the manual, there is nothing that says that the 1033C has built-in Bluetooth.
Honor Student
ZebPet
Message 4 of 8 (32,495 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem with my new HP 1033CL.  These minis are supposed to come in two ways. One is with Broadcom Wireless including Bluetooth and one without. I called HP Support and the person there said I was supposed to have Bluetooth but the driver was not working. We reloaded the driver, after 20 minutes of down load, and the result was the same. My case is still open.

I would like to know how to tell if I really have it or not.

Message Edited by ZebPet on 01-25-2009 05:30 PM
Honor Student
ZebPet
Message 5 of 8 (31,794 Views)

Here is the answer:  

After finally going through enough support people to get someone to look at the specs, I finally learned that the HP MINI 1033CL does NOT have the Bluetooth HARDWARE. It has the Bluetooth software so you can add the hardware yourself, EG: a dongle.

I went to Target, purchased a Targus Bluetooth dongle, and my Bluetooth mouse and modem finally work great. The dongle sticks out less than a 1/2 inch and $23.00 just beats the add Bluetooth price when ordering it built into a MINI from HP. The only drawback is that it takes up a USB port.

I hope this helps everyone. Enjoy your MINI.

Student
mizzou545
Message 6 of 8 (18,302 Views)

Can the dongle allow your mini to connect to internet via Palm Pre?

Honor Student
ZebPet
Message 7 of 8 (18,262 Views)

All I can tell you is that I can with my Windows phone HTC 8125. I would think that if the Palm Pre can be used as a modem, it is Bluetooth capable, and you have instructions for the Pre hook up as a dialup within your mini it should work ,

Good luck. 

Student
ShaolinGOD
Message 8 of 8 (4,886 Views)

The HP mini is not internally bluetooth capable.  Even though, the drivers are installed, it doesn't mean it has it...  For example, the HP Mini is not touch screen enabled, but the drivers are showing up in the device manager...  If you want to connect bluetooth you would have to buy a USB Bluetooth dongle adapter.  They sell it at Staples, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Bestbuy, etc... (made by Tarus)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation