Question

Top Student
efriedman3
Message 1 of 6 (603 Views)

Boot Device Not Found

Hi, I'm using a Pavilion dv6 laptop with Windows 7 64-bit. I get the following error when i start up my laptop:

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system

Hard Disk (3F0)

F2  System Diagnostics

I've been browsing the forums trying to figure out how to fix my laptop for a couple hours and have found situations similar to mine. I have also unsuccessfully tried most of the fixes. My situation is weird because after about twenty minutes of tinkering with the BIOS menu at startup and continually restarting my laptop i can get in. I can connect to the internet and run most of the processes i could before. However, everything is extremely buggy; it freezes and disconnects to the internet every couple minutes. I can't use it like i could before i had the error. 

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 6 (554 Views)

Re: Boot Device Not Found

Have you run the F2 diagnostics on the hdd? What were the results?

Have you tried reseating the hdd to be sure it is plugged in securely?

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
efriedman3
Message 3 of 6 (543 Views)

When i run tests on the hardrive it tells me it was not detected. 

I've never taken a laptop apart and would be uneasy about doing so unless it is sure to fix my problem. If there is anything else you can think of let me know, otherwise i'll try reseating it.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 6 (541 Views)

There is no need to actually disassemble the laptop to reseat the hdd. Should be a matter of removing a plate on the bottom to get to the hdd. You can find your models Service Manual using the button at top of this page titled 'Support & Drivers". Use the full model number or P/N as listed on the Service Tag attached to bottom of laptop.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
efriedman3
Message 5 of 6 (531 Views)

Reseating the hardrive wasn't the solution unfortunately. 

I'm not sure if this information will help or not, but i am also unable to update Windows. The first of the failed updates and the original problem started happened on the same day.

Thanks again for helping me out!

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 6 (442 Views)

It was worth a try. You will have to replace the hdd.Any retail SATA mobile hdd will work in it.Just be sure the new hdd is of at least as large a capcity as the original if you will be using Recovery Disks to reinstall Windows. it can be larger capacity but not smaller, such as if original is 320gb do not purchase a 250gb.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation