Re: Booting Ubuntu 10.10 LiveUSB on Envy 15 (988 Views)
Student
dar256
Message 1 of 2 (1,036 Views)

Booting Ubuntu 10.10 LiveUSB on Envy 15

Hello,

Updating GRUB in my wubi-based Ubuntu installation on my Envy killed my ability to boot into that OS recently. I'd like to boot from an Ubuntu LiveCD to repair the installation, but my external optical drive is halfway across the country and I won't have access to it for a month or two. I decided to try booting from a LiveUSB and created one using UNetBootin. The LiveUSB works fine; I've tested it on two other computers. But I can't boot from it on my Envy 15.

I changed the boot order in the BIOS to check the USB drive before looking for the external CD drive or resorting to the internal hard drive, but the problem seems to be that the computer never successfully identifies the USB drive as a feasible boot option; it doesn't show up when I hit F9 during POST. At startup, the USB drive's LED is lit up, so it's getting powered at the very least.

My Envy is running BIOS F.26. Any ideas why it won't boot from this working LiveUSB? 

PhD Student
Knute
Message 2 of 2 (988 Views)

Re: Booting Ubuntu 10.10 LiveUSB on Envy 15

Just for kicks, have you tried a different USB key (different brand).

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation