01-12-2011 02:58 PM
Updating GRUB in my wubi-based Ubuntu installation on my Envy killed my ability to boot into that OS recently. I'd like to boot from an Ubuntu LiveCD to repair the installation, but my external optical drive is halfway across the country and I won't have access to it for a month or two. I decided to try booting from a LiveUSB and created one using UNetBootin. The LiveUSB works fine; I've tested it on two other computers. But I can't boot from it on my Envy 15.
I changed the boot order in the BIOS to check the USB drive before looking for the external CD drive or resorting to the internal hard drive, but the problem seems to be that the computer never successfully identifies the USB drive as a feasible boot option; it doesn't show up when I hit F9 during POST. At startup, the USB drive's LED is lit up, so it's getting powered at the very least.
My Envy is running BIOS F.26. Any ideas why it won't boot from this working LiveUSB?
01-14-2011 09:11 AM
Just for kicks, have you tried a different USB key (different brand).
- Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8)
- Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)
- Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 8)
- Read this before ordering your Recovery Discs! (US and Canada Only)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7)