Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Probook 650 G1
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I have just bought Probook 650 G1 (L8T52ES) and I installed a 256 GB SSD drive from Samsung to the upgrade bay instead of the optical drive. I want to install Windows 8 on SSD in the upgrade bay.

When I install Windows 8 from an external optical drive, the installer detects both SSD and HDD, but in an order I do not like - SSD is drive 1 and HDD is drive 0.

So, I disconnected HDD and kept only SSD in the upgrade bay. I somehow managed to change BIOS settings in such a way that I was able to start the installation from DVD, which required disabling Fast Boot and then still manually specifying the booting device to be the optical drive (using the F9 key).

During the system installation, notebook needs to be restarted and the problem is that it does not boot anymore.

My questions are:

• Is it possible to have the SSD drive in the upgrade bay used for system?
  • If yes, how should boot options be specified to make sure that SSD drive is the system one to boot from and the HDD drive is just used for data?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I have similar issue. 

Probook 650 G1, latest BIOS.

Main drive SSD Samsung EVO 850. Booting Windows 7 - no problems.

Upgrade Bay HDD 500GB Seagate - Booting Linux no problem

Upgrade Bay SDD (tested Samsung EVO 850 250GB, SanDisk SDSSDP 128GB, Intel SSD Pro 1500 180GB) - none works correctly.  Often notebook will not past POST and will not boot. Most of the time it is even impossible to access BIOS without removing Upgrade Bay first.

HP, are you aware of this issue?

HP Recommended

I had a chat with HP support and I was told to switch drives. I did so - I have SSD with the system in the main bay and I have HDD with data in the upgrade bay. Everything works until I unplug the adapter - if the notebook is running on battery the HDD drive in the upgrade bay gets disconnected! However, that is a different story and I asked about it in another topic.

Also, I was told by HP support that the service manual for Probook 650 G1 does not mention that HDD/SSD drive in the upgrade bay is oficially supported, but a support case was escalated and I will see what happens.

HP Recommended

Great!

The problem is I want to run G1 with two SSDs. Having HDD in the upgrade bay makes things working but it is not a solution for me.

Hopefuly they will release some BIOS update with fix soon.

On the other side, I have no problem running on battery with SDD/HDD combination. All works.

It would be also great if someone from HP would step in to this conversation 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.