Question

Student
Message 1 of 58 (24,774 Views)

Both Shift keys are not working

Hi,

My laptop both the shift keys stopped working suddenly,I tried few possibilities like holding shift keys alternately and at a time for few minutes, and along with Ctl key,Alt key, but not solved my problem.Please suggest me.......as soon as possible.

Student
mike-d
Message 2 of 58 (24,764 Views)

Re: Both Shift keys are not working

i have the same problem. since my laptop came back from servicing by HP the shift keys only work sporraticaly. the problem has gotten worse the last few days to the point they're not working at all now.

i'd love some help on this as well.

Student
frig00
Message 3 of 58 (24,202 Views)

this has also just happened to me...........seems to be a common problem...what's going on hp

Student
cspratt1
Message 4 of 58 (23,816 Views)

Ditto.  HP Envy15 with Windows 7

Honor Student
maoredry
Message 5 of 58 (23,242 Views)

me too !

what is going on ???

sty Honor Student
Honor Student
sty
Message 6 of 58 (23,170 Views)

i have this hp probook 4720s, bought it about 2 months ago in france. now both the SHIFT keys are not working. however, when i plug in an external keyboard, the shift keys work on it.

so what is it, hardware defect or something to do with software

sty Honor Student
Honor Student
sty
Message 7 of 58 (23,169 Views)

another thing i want to add is that when i press the laptop shift key, then i cannot type any other key. this means that the shift key is not completely dead. the computer does 'read' it.

Honor Student
Blinky
Message 8 of 58 (22,997 Views)

I am having the same problem with my shift keys.  I have to hold down the caps key to capitalize letters.  The shift keys will not let me capitalize.  Hope I can find the answers here.  I have an HP pavilion laptop.

Student
PhillipDuran
Message 9 of 58 (22,794 Views)

Having the same problem with a Probook 4520s. I pulled the keyboard from a Probook 4510s and plugged that in and the shift keys sill did not work. By not work, I mean that if I press the shift key and press keys, nothing comes up. If I release the shift key, i can type normally. 

If security is your concern, stop using Windows!
Honor Student
IROL28
Message 10 of 58 (22,230 Views)

I have being experiencing this frightening problem since this afternoon. And from reading this forum, I am only seeing the challenges that we are facing, but no one to offer a solution or an explanation as to why this is happening.  HP support we need some answers thank you.

Just let us know what is causing this problem and how can we fix it so we can get on with our lives.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation