Bought a laptop, can't find the Windows 8 product key (42639 Views)
Student
Carrie2012
Message 1 of 24 (42,639 Views)

Bought a laptop, can't find the Windows 8 product key

Hi everyone,

I just received an HP laptop that I ordered from Amazon, new and sealed and everything.

It's this laptop - HP-Pavilion-g6-2218nr

This laptop comes with Windows 8 preinstalled, but no Windows 8 installation discs or anything....

In fact, I can't seem to find the Windows 8 product key.... the 25 or so digit key that usually one would find on the bottom of the laptop on a sticker. What options do I have to find this information?

The only thing I can find through the computer itself are like the last five digits of the product key. However, I want all 25 digits for future reference in case something were to happen. What can and should I do?

-Carrie

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 24 (42,629 Views)

Re: Bought a laptop, can't find the Windows 8 product key

Hi Carrie,

On new machines coming with Windows 8, the Product Key is now encypted in the Bios - there's more about this in the article on the link below.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57554240-292/windows-8-moves-to-bios-based-product-keys/

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Distinguished Professor
REO51ST
Message 3 of 24 (42,625 Views)

Thanks for the heads-up on that DavidPK.

Some good info.

Thanks.

Student
CSKumawat
Message 4 of 24 (41,858 Views)

Thanks,

I also purchase a new laptop HP Probook 4540s, preinstalled with Windows 8 Pro but windows is not activated,

Now i called to vendor that please let me know my prducut key for activation but he is also denied that preloaded OS is having activated windows,

Now In this case what shuld i do? is there is any HP contact number so I can log the call for this issue,

With Regards

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 5 of 24 (41,788 Views)

Hello CSKumawat,

Take a look at this document, which provides some details and help regarding your situation.  Please let me know if it helps.

Also, your ProBook is a Business model.  Your issue would be best answered on the HP Enterprise Business Community Forum

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
sakitha123
Message 6 of 24 (40,097 Views)

I brought a hp probook 4540s laptop in feb 2013. i change os to windows 7 and previous win 8 currupted.I want to change again to win8 so can i get my previous win 8 product key? 

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 7 of 24 (40,070 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello sakitha123.  I understand you want to reinstall Windows 8 on your notebook.

Do you still have the recovery partition?  If so you can follow these instructions to reinstall Windows 8.

If you no longer have the recovery partition you will need to contact HP Support and order a set of recovery media.  The number for US/Canadian customers is 1-800-474-6836.  If you're in another part of the world you'll need to visit HP Support Worldwide to get your region's contact information.

Have a good day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

I work for HP.
Student
davidagbeviade
Message 8 of 24 (35,080 Views)

Is BIOS CONFIGURATION THE SAME AS PRODUCT KEY?

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 9 of 24 (34,545 Views)

You might want to take a look at this article on the issue.

Windows 8 moves to BIOS-based product keys

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
rohanraarora
Message 10 of 24 (29,237 Views)

well i too baught Hp g6 2320tx and windows 8 came preinstalled on it and it is really a great product and i kno that product key is encrypted in BIOS but there is an option to add additional feature to windows and it asks for product key else we should know the key or have to buy...so how could we add these additional features without knowing product key

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation