Brightness control (keys or setting)does not work on HP Envy17 2290nr after loading Windows 8? (4787 Views)
Top Student
DJSZCZEP
Message 1 of 9 (4,787 Views)
Accepted Solution

Brightness control (keys or setting)does not work on HP Envy17 2290nr after loading Windows 8?

After upgrading to windows 8, why does brightness control no longer work on HP Envy17 2290nr?  Have gone to setting charms and brightness controls do not work there either. 

Honor Student
dietervanmarcke
Message 2 of 9 (4,743 Views)

Re: Brightness control (keys or setting)does not work on HP Envy17 2290nr after loading Windows 8?

Same here.

I think it has something to do with the fact that the AMD display driver isn't installed on my recently upgraded (to win8 pro) envy.  I tried installing the AMD driver only to find my laptop with a black screen.  I had to do system repair...

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 3 of 9 (4,715 Views)

Re: Brightness control (keys or setting)does not work on HP Envy17 2290nr after loading Windows 8?

Hello DJSZCZEP.  I understand that you're having some issues with controlling the brightness of your notebook within Windows 8.

HP is still producing drivers for the update to Windows 8.   Most notebooks that were purchased after October 1, 2011 should be supported in time.  Here is a link to more information on the upgrade to Windows 8 and HP.

The support page for your notebook does not currently have any drivers for Windows 8 listed.  This does not mean that Windows 8 will not work on your notebook.  It just means that some features and functions might not be available. Advanced features like controlling the brightness may be handled by the video driver itself and require a full driver for the functionality.  Your notebook's specifications lists the video card as the ATI Radeon 6850M.  Here are the drivers for the 64-bit version of Windows 8.  Try using these drivers and let me know if this solves the issue.

Keep an eye on your product's support page for updates including drivers for Windows 8.  I hope this is helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

I work for HP.
Top Student
DJSZCZEP
Message 4 of 9 (4,708 Views)

Link with its downloads did not work.  After downloading two of the updates, the brightness controls are still not functional on HP Envy17 2290nr.  Starting to think maybe I need to remove windows 8.  Even have problems during the restart process.  What is unusual, after waiting for a long duration, the only way to get back to main opening screen is closing the top and opening.  (Hoping that it works?)

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 5 of 9 (4,699 Views)

[ Edited ]

Removing Windows 8 may be the best solution for you currently as support for the brightness controls do not appear to be included in the video drivers.  Windows 8 should function fine on the notebook for the most part.  However, until the actual drivers are released for the hardware issues like these may arise as all functions will not be supported without them.  I suggest keeping an eye on your notebook's support page listed above for Windows 8 drivers to be released.

I hope this has been helpful.  Have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

I work for HP.
Intern
MaXi32
Message 6 of 9 (2,897 Views)

[quote] HP is still producing drivers for the update to Windows 8.   Most notebooks that were purchased after October 1, 2011 should be supported in time.  Here is a link to more information on the upgrade to Windows 8 and HP. [/quote]

HP isn't producing and will not produce driver for Windows 8 for Notebook purchased before October. Take example of HP Pavilion DV4 3016tx. It has been almost 6 months and 20 days since the official release of Windows 8 and there is no single driver created by HP to support Windows 8 for this unit.

and it has been 1 year 2 months and 17 days since the official release of Windows 8 Consumer Preview where at this stage, HP should focusing on developing driver for their customers.

The laptop mentioned was manufactured around september 2011 and I bought this laptop around April 2012. It's new to me. So,  if I upgraded to windows 8, I should straight away get the latest driver from HP. I wouldn't buy HP laptop If I knew HP won't support upgrading their laptops to the new OS. 

Top Student
DJSZCZEP
Message 7 of 9 (2,886 Views)

solution did not work.  brightness control indicator moves up and down but brightness does not change.  Still have the same problem.

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 8 of 9 (2,864 Views)

Hello DJSZCZEP,

I believe you need to refer to message 5 of this thread at this point.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
khalid-pp
Message 9 of 9 (1,193 Views)

[ Edited ]

solved...

UniProg wrote:

Hello DJSZCZEP,

unistall the current display driver and install the old driver witch available on hp website..

I believe you need to refer to message 5 of this thread at this point.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation