Question

Tutor
woolyhead
Message 1 of 16 (136 Views)

C700 notebook will not connect to internet. Could it be driver trouble?

My C700 HP laptop with Vista was taking too long to boot up so I disabled a couple of programs which I thought were of little use. It then refused to go on the internet. I know the trouble isn't due to the router or my ISP because my other pc works with the very same LAN cable and router and ISP. I can't find the list of programs which I disabled so I cannot re enable them. Any ideas, please?

Tutor
-Sunny_Singh-
Message 2 of 16 (127 Views)

Re: C700 notebook will not connect to internet. Could it be driver trouble?

Did you installed LAN drivers ? If not then install them.
If drivers are installed correctly then you can check the disable application in the task manager.
If disabled application causing then you can re enable those apps.
Tutor
woolyhead
Message 3 of 16 (125 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion. Will try it out and report.

Tutor
woolyhead
Message 4 of 16 (108 Views)

I tried start, control panel, network status and tasks, manage network connections, LAN connections, connect. But then I'm told "the server refuses connection". This is strange because my other pc uses the same LAN cable and router and is given access. Also my laptop has been gaining access for the past three years with the same ISP. What I did do however is that I disabled a couple of programs which I thought were unnecessary for booting up and may have been slowing things down. But now I can't find a list of programs with an option to reenable them. Where and how do I find this list?

HP Support Agent
SuperMario1
Message 5 of 16 (97 Views)

Hello woolyhead,

I understand that certain programs and services may be disabled. This could be affecting the current performance of the notebook. Here is my suggestion to address this list of programs that might be enabled:

1. Hold down the "Windows" and "R" key. Type "msconfig" in the search bar and hit Enter.

2. Go to both the "Services" and "Startup" tab, and make sure everything is selected.

3. When you are finished, select Apply and Ok, then restart the computer.

Please let me know if this helps. Thanks!

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
woolyhead
Message 6 of 16 (89 Views)

Hiya Super Mario. Well it looked like a good idea but it didn't work. I disabled one program then pressed "enable all" and the tick came back, showing the "enable all" worked. Some programs were shown ar "running", some not but they all remained as they were. Sorry. Any more ideas, please?

Tutor
woolyhead
Message 7 of 16 (87 Views)

I'm not sure that I used the task manager that you refer to. I pressed network status and tasks, manage netwirk connections. LAN connections (the DSL lights on the router) but the proxy server refuses connection on this lapyop, not on the desktop. Have I been looking at the right thing? I saw no refernce to drivers.

HP Support Agent
SuperMario1
Message 8 of 16 (83 Views)

Thanks for the response. Here is something you can try:

1. Go to Start, and type "Device Manager" in the space and hit Enter. In Device Manager, go to Network adapters.

2. Right-click on the LAN driver, and select "Uninstall".

3. Restart the computer. This will force the driver to reinstall itself.

Please let me know what happens. Thanks!

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
woolyhead
Message 9 of 16 (75 Views)

I did what you said, Super Mario, except that I couldn't see LAN driver so I uninstalled the only thing that sounded something like it. This was the Ethernet tab. When I restarted the laptop I noticed a banner saying that the Ethernet program was being re installed. But when I tried it on the Internet it hadn't achieved anything. There is something else that's happened: I get a flag saying that C/users/woolyhead/App Data/local/TerryddcVpqom.d11 couldn't be found. Could this have any connection? My other thought is that when I disabled (or so I thought) a couple of startup programs I may have accidentally and unknown to me, deleted one of them. Are these programs part of Vista? If so I have another idea. I have an unused disc containing Windows 7. Would it be worth using it to solve this lack of internet, do you think?

Tutor
woolyhead
Message 10 of 16 (67 Views)

Hi, Sunny Singh. Thanks for the reply. How can I download LAN drivers? Where can I find them? If I down;oad them to the deshtop, will a simple cable with a USB on each end transfer them to the laptop? What instructions must I input to the desktop to do this, please?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation