Question

Honor Student
dBuster
Message 1 of 6 (4,283 Views)

COMPAQ CQ60-215dx - Ubuntu Linux - WIFI L.E.D. not changing colors when wifi active - settings?

I have as the subject states a CQ60-215dx and have loaded successfully Ubuntu Linux 9.04 Jaunty, currently in Alpha but it was the only distro of Ubuntu that would load on this laptop unfortunately. 

It is an amazingly wonderful laptop and Ubuntu runs extremely fast on this laptop!  I have no crashes even for running an alpha.  

I have the atheros wifi card and have the wifi enabled and working as I am using it now.  I have tried to edit the /etc/sysctl.conf with adding the following lines to it:

dev.wifi0.ledpin = 3

dev.wifi0.softled = 1

But the LED stays orange and will not change to blue as it does in Vista.  I have searched and found those settings at the Linux Laptop Wiki - although it is titled for the cq60-100 the comments from others state the 200 plus models as well.

Does anyone know what the correct configuration settings would be to enable the led to change colors when the wifi is enabled???

Honor Student
nrosenthal
Message 2 of 6 (4,012 Views)

Re: COMPAQ CQ60-215dx - Ubuntu Linux - WIFI L.E.D. not changing colors when wifi active - settings?

I just bought this machine and I cannot even install Ubuntu 8.04 much less worry about the Wifi light.

1. Should I wait for 9.04 to be released?

2. Give me some tips on installation. The disk will boot but dumps me into a "built-in shell".

Honor Student
dBuster
Message 3 of 6 (3,992 Views)

Re: COMPAQ CQ60-215dx - Ubuntu Linux - WIFI L.E.D. not changing colors when wifi active - settings?

I tried every version of Ubuntu from 7.04 up to 8.10 and to no luck could I get one to boot.  Then someone recommended I try the alternate install cd of Jaunty Alpha 2.  So I did and it installed like a charm!  Been through every update since and still running rock solid once everything was installed.

My recommendation would be to go ahead and give the beta a try or you could put up with the preloaded vista until the final release of Jaunty.  I mean you only have 12 more days to go until the final release.  I do not see any harm though in giving the beta a try, heck, the release candidate comes out in 5 days which is so close!

Good luck, check the ubuntu forums for more tips with this laptop!  I have a thread there and can link it for you if you want.  There was another user with the same laptop that was having problems and we both worked to get the early alpha going.  Although with how well Jaunty is now you might not have any issues.

Honor Student
nrosenthal
Message 4 of 6 (3,903 Views)

I downloaded the 9.04 beta alternate installation file and it installed. However, I believe the wired network card is not working because every page I go to gives a "not found" message. I'll worry about the wireless card later.
Honor Student
dBuster
Message 5 of 6 (3,895 Views)

Actually if you can get the madwifi on a thumb drive and then load it onto the laptop your in with the wireless!  I have had no issues with the wired connection.  Did you use the network manager to configure and ensure that the wired connection was turned on in Ubuntu?  You do have the icon in the upper right corner for networking?

If you go to SYSTEM > PREFERENCES > NETWORK CONNECTIONS -- verify that your wired is set to AUTO ETH0.  I did nothing other than make sure I was set to auto on the wired side and I have a connection.  

For the wireless I used the madwifi as it was described in the Ubuntu forum posting I have for this model of laptop.

I will help what I can if needed.  Prefer to go to the Ubuntu forums instead of the hp forums though...  HP is not that supportive of those of us who choose to NOT be forced into a Microsoft product.  

Honor Student
dBuster
Message 6 of 6 (3,891 Views)

Check out this posting of mine from the Ubuntu forums...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1034933

I have the link setup to open into a new window so you will still have this window open if you want...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation