Can't connect to wireless network (11439 Views)
Honor Student
MissMarit
Message 1 of 4 (11,439 Views)

Can't connect to wireless network

Hi all,

I'm not able to connect to a new wireless network. Others are able to connect and we have tried differentsettings on the network. The network are listed in the dialog box, but states : Windows Can not connect to network hytta. (This might not be the exact words, I have to translate from norwegian.)

When connecting to wireless at home it workes fine, and last thing I did before I left was to install driver for HP7180 and connected to it. Installed a large file on 160m.

I'm away on holliday and can't reconnect to my home network for testing.

Any ideas why I can't connect? 

Thanks and Best Regrads

Marit

OS - MS Windows VistaT Home Premium 6.0.6001 SP1 Build 6001 (Norwegian)

HW - Pavilion dv6 - 1100eo

Preinstalled, onlys supplied with sp

Master's Graduate
melanchete
Message 2 of 4 (11,429 Views)

Re: Can't connect to wireless network

Maybe this will help: 

How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Windows Vista:

To start Wireless Zero Configuration in Windows Vista you need to log in as an Administrator.

1. Click on Start and Control Panel
  2. Select Administrative Tools and then Services
  3. In the Services box scroll down the list of Services (Local) until you find the one labelled Wired AutoConfig and double click it.
  4. In the Wired AutoConfig Properties (Local Computer) box change the Startup type to Automatic
  5. Click on Start and once the service has started click on OK
  6. Now find the service labelled WLAN AutoConfig and double click it.
  7. In the WLAN AutoConfig Properties (Local Computer) box change the Startup type to Automatic
  8. Click on Start and once the service has started click on OK
  9. Go to File and Exit to close the Services window

Windows Vista WLAN Autoconfig
Unlike Windows XP, Windows Vista does not have the wireless zero configuration (WZC) service, instead the service used to detect available wireless network and manage wireless network profiles is called WLAN Autoconfig.

If you do not enable this feature, you need to use the other wireless utility which is provided by wireless adapter manufacturer in order to connect to wireless networks.

Graphical Interface Method
Here is how you can enable/disable this feature:

1. Go to Start and right click Computer. Select and click Manage.

2. Computer Management window will appear. Under Services and Applications, select Services.

(Another way to reach this is: Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

3. Scroll down and select WLAN AutoConfig.

4. Double-click the service and its properties window will appear. If the startup type is not set to automatic, click on the dropdown arrow and change it to Automatic. Click Start to start the service if it’s not started. Click OK at last.

Command Line Method
To do this via the command you have to use Windows Vista Netsh commands for wireless local area networks (WLAN) .

To disable the WLAN Autoconfig you can follow these steps:

1. Click on Start, type in “cmd” without the quotes, then right-click on cmd.exe which appears in your search.

2. Select run as administrator.

3. The WLAN service must be running first. If it isn’t type net start wlansvc.

4. Type in netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface=”name of your wireless network here” (with the quotes)

(If you need to see the name of your wireless network first, type in netsh wlan show settings)

To enable WLAN Autoconfig via command line use the same process but in step #3 change command to enabled=yes

Pavilion DV7-1285dx Notebook, Windows 7 64bit, Intel X2 P8600 2.40GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9600M, 6GB RAM, 2x 500GB HD(s)
Honor Student
MissMarit
Message 3 of 4 (11,419 Views)

Wired AutoConfig was on manual, switched to automatic and started it.

WLAN AutoConfig was allready on automatic and was running.

Still not able to connect.

Some xtra info:

I get question about passphrase when trying to connect to wireless nettwork. After adding passphrase i press connect and I get an error msg that says windows can not connect to <name on netwok>.

I gets to choises, diagnostic or connect to another network. Have also tried to predfine the network, then it only skips passphrase before errormsg.

Regards, Marit

Master's Graduate
melanchete
Message 4 of 4 (11,409 Views)

[ Edited ]

Okay we are getting closer...

Are you sure that you are using the same security protocols? 

If the protocols are different you will get the same results as listed as above.  Double check your settings, are you using a MAC pool to limit connections?  Are you broadcasting SSID?    Some of the routers or nics have issues with a special characters in the pass phrase (but remember that the pass phrase is case sensitive).  Is the router handling DHCP, and is the pool large enough to accommodate the number of systems attached? Send me a private message with your setting for the router and wireless nic, and I will see what I can do.

You could also check your event logs to see if anything stands out.

Some helpful URLs:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoot_wireless.htm

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/33307acf-0698-41ba-b014-ea0a2eb8d0a81033.mspx

MissMarit wrote:

Wired AutoConfig was on manual, switched to automatic and started it.

WLAN AutoConfig was allready on automatic and was running.

Still not able to connect.

Some xtra info:

I get question about passphrase when trying to connect to wireless nettwork. After adding passphrase i press connect and I get an error msg that says windows can not connect to <name on netwok>.

I gets to choises, diagnostic or connect to another network. Have also tried to predfine the network, then it only skips passphrase before errormsg.

Regards, Marit

Message Edited by melanchete on 06-01-2009 01:28 PM
Pavilion DV7-1285dx Notebook, Windows 7 64bit, Intel X2 P8600 2.40GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9600M, 6GB RAM, 2x 500GB HD(s)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation