Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g4-1100au

Hello, I've been trying to download a driver for several days now but it stops downloading almost as soon as it starts.

It happens to be the file sp64116.exe, but it seems to be a general problem with the download server. When I try with Google Chrome, it stops after about 16MB (the file is around 350MB). When I try with Internet Explorer, I get a message saying that download is interrupted and I've resumed several times - but it just downloads about 10MB and then gets interrupted again.

Unfortunately, the driver download pages all have some kind of script for downloading software files. There's no way to enter a URL or use FTP or torrent or something like dropbox to get the file directly.

Please can you either fix this problem or provide alternative ways to download driver files.

Another problem with the drivers pages is that if you select an OS like Windows 8 and the drivers you need happen to be Windows 7 drivers then it won't show up in the list. Apparently, there are several devices in an HP laptop that won't work directly with Windows 8 (or 10?) and you need to go find the name of the device (and there isn't an easy way to find out what devices are built in to the laptop, whether Intel or Qualcomm or Radox or whatever) and so find the driver file specific to that particular device.

Is there an alternative website (other than the HP website(s)) where drivers can be downloaded directly or via torrent clients or ftp or something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is the direct link to the file from HP's FTP site.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64116.exe

I was able to completely download this file using Internet Explorer 11 in several seconds (I have 100 MBPS internet service).

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

You need to download from HP websites for HP machines. In many cases, downloading from other places won't work. By the way, where is the link (its place) ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_125688_1#tab4

I tried from another network and I asked a friend in the UK to try download it also (so he could upload it to a public ftp server, say) - but it's always the same problem: stops or is interrupted before it's complete.

How to get a message to the server/network administrator to fix the problem?

In the meantime, how can I contact HP support directly to have the file sent to me via a dropbox or cloud account?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is the direct link to the file from HP's FTP site.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64116.exe

I was able to completely download this file using Internet Explorer 11 in several seconds (I have 100 MBPS internet service).

HP Recommended

Thank you so much, that new link works (but 6 mins, not 11 secs of course) :generic:

(I did, however, have to do it three times because the first couple of times failed due to "network error" after having downloaded all 386MB. I found it much more reliable to use an ftp client like filezilla. That worked a dream!)

I did also find a torrent file eventually (also 386MB), but it didn't install properly - that's another story. I also found what looked to be exactly the same driver file (suite??) just for Win8.1 on the qualcomm website (but only 18MB???) - SP69199. That didn't install either.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is a huge file for a wireless driver.

It must contain all of the Cisco extension software too.

If you let me know exactly what you are looking for, perhaps I can give you some alternative drivers to try.

But like the old saying goes..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, thanks for your help so far.

But now I still can't install the driver. It hangs during the install process, I left my computer on all night in case it's waiting for some other process to end or maybe a timeout or something. But it's not even possible to close the window - it can only be done with Task Manager. 

I don't seem to have bluetooth on my PC anymore, perhaps due to the upgrade to Windows 8 (or 8.1). 

Nevertheless, I did notice now that the Atheros bluetooth device was now available and working when I opened Device Manager!

But it still doesn't work! I searched for my bluetooth device (which I know is on and transmitting a signal because my iPad can connect to it, and I then switched my iPad to make sure there's no conflict). But I get the message No Device Found.

It's difficult to know where the disconnect is - surely Windows 8+ should be able to recognize this as a standard plug-and-play device? Failing that Atheros has a Windows 8.1 driver it seems (but that won't install either). And failing that then HP should have a way to switch on the device in a Windows 8/10 environment. It can't be that hard, there are 10,000s of HP Pavilions and similar PCs out there.

Or is it just a unique glitch on my computer?

Ideas???

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

So, I take it you need a W8.1 bluetooth driver for the Atheros wireless card your notebook has, correct?

I cross referenced your PC with a business notebook that would have come out about the same time as yours, and this is the W8.1 Atheros Bluetooth driver listed.

So, perhaps you want to uninstall the one you are struggling with, reboot, and install this one instead and see if it works.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63625.exe

Details of the above driver.  It is much smaller in file size than the one you are working with currently, which makes sense.  Windows 8.1 and 10 have much of the bluetooth stuff already incorporated into their driver databases.

Qualcomm Atheros QCA9000 Series Bluetooth 4.0+HS Driver

Type:Driver - Network
Version:8.0.1.232(30 Sep 2013)
Operating System(s):
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit) |
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

File name:sp63625.exe (6.6 MB)

HP Recommended

Thanks, it downloaded (but not with filezilla: ECONNREFUSED). I tried to uninstall the previous driver, but it hung. I then did a forced uninstall of anything quallcomm-related.

The above driver package didn't install. Firstly, it unpacked the files but nothing happened. Then I started setup.exe and got an error "the device may not be present". I tried running bluetooth_suite_win8_1.exe, but after a few seconds the cursor changed from hourglass back to arrow, that's all.

very bizarre.... !

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that driver didn't work for you.

Yes it is bizarre.

I don't understand how an Atheros BT driver from a PC that is about the same age as yours didn't work.

There are others you can try, like this one...

This package contains the driver installation package for theQualcomm Atheros bluetooth in the supported notebook models runninga supported operating system.

File name: sp65049.exe

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.