Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I previously posted this, and did get a few suggestions but none of them worked.  So I am going to try posting this again.  I must apologize in advance, but I am a computer idiot. I have been using computers for what seems like forever now, but I really don't know a lot about them or how to fix problems. Usually, if I have an issue, one of my computer literate friends can fix me up in no time. However, the problem I currently have has even them somewhat stumped.

I have a HP Pavilion DV7 2277cl.

I have Windows 7

To the best of my knowledge, I have the most up to date Adobe & Anti-virus (Avast).

My problem began a few months ago, pretty much out of no where. When I receive an email, if it has any type of attachment (PDF, photo, etc.), when I click on it like I always used to, the tan bar at the bottom of my screen appears that says (Open, Save, or Cancel). Typically, I would only save it if I knew what it was and actually wanted it on my computer. So 99% of the time, I would hit "Open". Then it would download (and the tan bar would say either ?% complete or ?? seconds, and once it hit 100%, what ever the attachment was would open on my computer. Now when I do it, I hit the "open" button, and the tan bar begins to say % complete or time, but once it is done (100%), absolutely nothing happens, and the tan bar goes away. The only way I have been able to see any of the attachments is to save it to "my downloads" file on my computer. Once it is saved, I then have to go into the file, and open it. So needless to say, I am quickly filling my "my downloads" file with a ton of junk. Not to mention it is a pain not to be able to just immediately see a pdf or an emailed picture. This problem is NOT an email issue. I have the exaxct same problem if I go to a random website and try to look at a PDF ( for example, PDF's of a menu from a restaurant website). I have done a ton of google searches, but I can't seem to find anyone with my type of problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any input at all would be greatly appreciated.

Below is the link to my origional post, and the comments/suggestions I recieved.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/Help-Sudden-problem-opening-PDF-s-and-email...

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

As per your previous post i think you are using Firefox..Lets start with the simple steps first...

i. Open firefox. Press the ALT button the keyboard once. It'll show you the File,Edit,view...etc at the top of the screen. Click on Tools and then Click Options.

ii. Once you have the Options window open Click on the Privacy Tab at the top. Then click on the Clear Your Recent History option. 

Options.PNG

In the next screen change Time Range to Clear to Everything

Clerhistory.PNG

iii. Next Click Remove individual cookies and then remove all cookies.

Then click OK and then close firefox.

Before re-opening Firefox just perform one more step:

iv. Type internet options in the Start Search box and click Internet Options from the top. Click the Advanced tab at the top and then click reset button at the bottom. You can check the box in the next small windows and click ok. click ok again to close the windows.

internetOptions.PNG

Once this is done restart the computer and check if the problem is still there. Let me know what happens

HP Recommended

I am unable to even get to the screen that you show.  When I hit the Alt button, then hit the "tools" tab, the only place that I can click that has the word "Options" in it is "Internet Options" (it is the very bottom choice, just below "Blog this in Windows Live Writer".  Anyway, when I go to "Internet Options", I can then click on a "Privacy" tab, but what opens does not look like what your page shows.  What shows up on my screen gives me the options of adjusting "Settings" (with a little slide bar that I can change from medium to high or low), and "Location", "Pop-up Blocker", and "InPrivate".

I am not sure how to get to the screen that you show.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Which browser are you using.Is it Mozilla Firefox or Internet explorer?

HP Recommended
To the best of my knowledge, it is Internet Explorer. I have never even heard of Mozilla Firefox before.
HP Recommended

I think you are using internet explorer. As per your previous post i thought u had firefox.

In that case you can do only the step iv.

Internet Options-> Click Advanced at the top and click reset button at the bottom. It'll open another small window.You can check the small box in that windows and click reset. Once it is done click Ok...

Or,

You can directly go to the link below and click fixit in the next page...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/92373

HP Recommended
I finally had the opportunity to try the fixit, but unfortunately, it did not fix my problem. I still have the same problem. If I try to open any pdf or email attachement, nothing happens. I have to save it first. Then go to where I saved it, and open it from there. Does anyone have any other suggestions? This is infuriating, as I receive a tremendous amount or emails with pdf and photo attachments for work. Thanks, B
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think i understand the problem now..As per your first post what i understand is that you may be

experiencing this problem after Internet Explorer was upgraded to IE 8. Thats because there are

some changes in Internet explorer 8 and it doesnt give the option to open. There are two ways to fix

it now..Update  IE8 to IE9 or Download Google Chrome.

i) Updating Internet Explorer 8 to Internet Explorer 9: Internet Explorer 9 gives you the option to

Save or Run the attachments directly like the one below.

If you click Run it'll open it..If you click on the down arrow next to Save it'll give to 2 options- Save or

Save and Run. If Save is selected it'll just save it and you'll have to go to the save location to open it.

And if you Select Save and Run-It'll save and will also open it at the same time..

IE9Save.PNG

Download Internet Explorer 9

ii) Or you can download Google Chrome which will give you the option to save or open..

Download Google Chrome

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with pdf and word documents. Here is what I did and it worked. In your browser Go to tools---options---privacy---next to Adobe acrobat and under action you see "save file" click on it and from the pull down menu select "Always Ask." and your probblem will be solved.

HP Recommended

pdf full. what does this mean and how can i fix it?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.