Question

Top Student
pearlhouse
Message 1 of 3 (3,472 Views)

Cannot access files stored in HP recovery partition

I just did a complete win vista home premium recovery on my daughters HP Pavillion dv6000. I used the recovery method that HP provides from their dedicated partition. My problem is that just before we started the recovery my daughter found some more files that she wanted to save to reinstall later. We didnt have any way to back these up so I made a "MY Docs" folder on the partion recovery D:drive and copied everything to this folder, thinking I would be able to copy them back after the recovery. I created this folder directly under the HP recovery D: drive just as the Recovery folder was done. After completing the recovery and also doing SP 1 & 2 I went to this HP Recovery D: drive to retrieve these files. The folder was not there anymore. After searching a little I found a new folder "$RECYCLE.BIN" as the first folder shown followed my several other folders with lavender colored icons in front of each. (Never seen this type of icon before) One of these folders is the folder I made up "MY Docs" When I try and open it up it shows me an HP Icon and a warning that this is a recovery partrition. But if I right clik it and clik properties it shows me there are 1337 files and 149 folders just as I copied them there.with the size as 866MB. This complete Recovery drive is 13G and still has 1G of free space.

Can somebody tell me how I might access this folder to retrieve the files. Needless to say but my daughter is really pixxxxxxd at me for screwing this up. I was able to copy this folder to my desktop where I thought I could work on it but all i get is the HP Icon with the partition warning.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 3 (3,468 Views)

Re: Cannot access files stored in HP recovery partition

[ Edited ]

You learned the hard way that Recovery partition files are locked.:smileywink: When you copied the folder off to your desktop you also copied the protected attribute. I have seen some report being able to use WinRar to extract the files.

Other option would be to take her hdd out and attach it to a usb adapter and plug it into your machine via usb port to copy the files off. Usually when the hdd is accessed without being booted up the copy protection is off.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
reidatwork
Message 3 of 3 (3,163 Views)

Re: Cannot access files stored in HP recovery partition

I wanted to post an update to this thread, because a google search on Feb 2013 turned up this answer as the only good answer on the web that I could find.   I have found another way to access these files.

old school

open command line window

cd to the recovery drive

cd to the folder you want

type dir to see the files

I put some files in a folder here also, thinking I could easily get them back.  The "hidden" attribute stops any access thru file explorer, and I could find no way to undo that attribute.

copy *.*  c:\temp

got my files back

Hope this Helps the next person

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation