Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am needing to get into the BIOS on a HP Elitepad 900 Windows 8 tablet.  I've tried hitting f10 via a USB keyboard at startup, I've tried holding the power and windows key while starting, and I've tried the troubleshooting boot into UEFI settings and nothing has worked.  I have found the area in the control panel where I can see the BIOS settings, but I nee to be able to change them.  Does anyone have any ideas? 

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

To start HP BIOS Settings, follow these steps:
1. Swipe from the right edge of the touch screen, tap Search, and then tap the search box.
2. In the search box, type c, tap Control Panel, tap System and Security, scroll down, and then
tap HP BIOS Settings.
3. To make changes if a BIOS password has been set, enter the BIOS password, and then tap
Finish.
4. To view system settings in read-only mode, tap Cancel.

Since you have stated that you are  unable to make changes in BIOS, it would seem likely that a BIOS password has been set that you do not know. If that is the case, then Contacting HP support may be your only option.

Resetting the tablet or using Windows 8 Refresh will not remove a BIOS password.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I took a look at those settings and there doesn't seem to be a password currently set.  I don't need to change the boot options per se, I need mroe to get into the BIOS to add other information, like asset tags.

Thanks

HP Recommended
You will find those in system settings.They can be accessed in read only mode. If you don't have a password set, then following the instructions below should serve to let you enter the BIOS. Those instructions are from the manual so they are accurate.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

There wasn't a password set, but those are the settings I need to change.  All I really need to do is add an asset tag into the BIOS.  Does anyone know how to do that on these tablets?

HP Recommended

That usually requires a DMI utility. HP Customer service has access to the utility.

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response!  Is there a way to get this utility to use ourselves?  We have over 60 of these tablets to configure. 

HP Recommended
From what I have seen it appears to be a proprietary utility. There are a number of DMI utilities online, but I am not aware if they would work on the ElitePad. What is the BIOS manufacturer?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response.  It says in System Settings that the manufacturer is HP, version 68CUA F.00.

HP Recommended

I afraid that I can't help you on this. The HP utility for making DMI changes is proprietary. There are some DMI utilities available, but you will have to search and find out which one, if any will work. In this situation Google and Bing are your friends.

Best regards,

erico

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.