Question

Top Student
gecastro
Message 1 of 15 (7,006 Views)
Accepted Solution

Change Windows 7 from 32bit to 64bit

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have a Pavilion dv6 2005tx, with Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit.

How can I change the system to the same windows? but 64bit.

I mean without buy a new licence of windows... As a new copy comes with both, 32bit (that I already have) and 64bit, I don't see why I should pay extra if I already have the licence and I don't want upgrade to "pro" or "ultimate"

It is really disappointing and stupid that I bought a computer with 4GB of RAM and I just can use 3GB because limitations of the OS that comes installed from the fabric. 

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 15 (7,003 Views)

Re: Change Windows 7 from 32bit to 64bit

The only way to move from 32 to 64 bit OS, would be by doing clean format and reinstall...it is ok, you are not losing much of memory with the 32-bit... I guess currently system would indicate you have3.2-3.4 GB of memory if I am not wrong...with 64-bit it will go little bit higher...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Top Student
gecastro
Message 3 of 15 (7,000 Views)

It don't care format it, that is not a problem.

But, Is possible change to 64bit using the restore system?

The computer don't have any disk, just the partition for restore.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 4 of 15 (6,997 Views)

Apologies, should have been clear about that... You well to get a 64-bit OS Disk for it... the restore/recovery partition will not do that for you...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Top Student
gecastro
Message 5 of 15 (6,994 Views)

So, buy a second licence for the same windows that I already have is the only way?

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 6 of 15 (6,987 Views)

Yes...

Top Student
gecastro
Message 7 of 15 (6,976 Views)

Sorry, one more question about this.

Is it possible buy the restore disks for the 64bit version, where? I'm in Australia.

I don't have problem in buy some copy of the restore system or an windows upgrade (that don't exist), but don't make sense to me buy a full copy that will include the same 32bit version that I already have.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 8 of 15 (6,972 Views)

We would be able to give you restore disk for the OS that was primarily ship with the notebook only...

Just Curious, why are looking for 64-bit OS, is it just the system memory part driving this? I mean, it is a lot of money buy a new license  to gain few MBs of system memory...

Top Student
gecastro
Message 9 of 15 (6,971 Views)

In theory, because this is not true for every software, but if you have a computer with 4GB of RAM and a processor of 64bit, you are potentially wasting about 60% of the resources of the computer with the OS 32bit, isn't?

I use a couple of things more than office stuff at the same time always with 2.5GB+ used memory, so that justify in my opinion change to 64bit instead buy a new computer with more capacity (and 64bit for manage more than 3GB).

Windows 7 is not the most generous system in use of memory, for users that use more than office and internet 3GB is the minimum memory for work properly.

I'm curious as well, why the stores sell computers with 4GB if the installed OS just can manage 3GB... I just learned about this after look for my lost GB that it suppose that I bought.

Intern
vdl68
Message 10 of 15 (6,956 Views)

Window 7 Disc do not come with 32bit and 64bit, they only have the diffence edtion. The Product key is not lock to the CPU typy, only to the edtion

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation