Question

Honor Student
Gary_Boldie
Message 1 of 6 (1,946 Views)

Clean Windows 7 install on a new SSD.

Hi all,

I have an HDX16-1310EA which was originally running Vista. I then bought the HP upgrade discs to convert it to Windows 7.

I've now bought a new 120G SSD to replace the HDD, and I'd like make a clean, minimal, first-time install of Windows 7 on that. I've made a set of recovery DVDs from the installation on the old HDD. Unfortunately, these don't work. When I boot from them with the new SSD in place, recovery manager complains "recovery data missing" and refuses to run further.

Now I'm stumped. As far as I can make out from the HP support pages, I should have been able to return the machine to its original Vista installation using the recovery DVDs, even if the hard drive is corrupted. I could then convert back to Windows 7 using my HP upgrade disks. It seems they didn't allow for complete replacement of the HDD though.

Anyone know how I can get around this?

Cheers,

Gary.

Background, In-case anyone is interested, and has time on their hands...

I want to run Ubuntu as my primary OS, but I will need to occasionally use Windows 7 since there are some applications I can't do without and which don't have Linux versions.

The original plan was to replace the HDD with a new SSD, put the HDD in an external box, install Ubuntu on the SSD and boot Windows (as little as possible) from the old HDD via eSATA, possibly needing to re-install Windows along the way. I bought a 120G SSD to put my cunning plot into action.

It didn't go to plan :smileysad:

The BIOS won't recognise the eSATA drive, so I can't boot from it. I think I might open that as a seperate thread, but for now I've given up trying to boot from eSATA.

Ubuntu installed and runs fine on the SSD. I'm very happy with it all. The SSD is brilliant; The machine is fully usable from a cold boot in 30 seconds. Ubuntu does nearly everything I need, but I'm left with the thorny problem of getting Windows working for occasional use. At the moment, the only way is to put the old HDD back in, which is a real pain, and the connector isn't going to last forever.

So the new cunning plan is to partition the SSD and try to squeze both Windows and Ubuntu onto it. 120G is suddenly looking very small....

Intern
The7
Message 2 of 6 (1,901 Views)

Re: Clean Windows 7 install on a new SSD.

Just a suggestion.

1) Clone the old HDD with the new SSD.

2) Put the SSD into the PC and do the recovery with the SSD. Then you may have an fresh SSD with the factory default program.

Honor Student
Gary_Boldie
Message 3 of 6 (1,878 Views)

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like it might work, though now I've started to worry that 120G isn't really enough for Win7 in all it's bloated glory, so I think I'll keep it as a reserve plan.

The new plan is to use this as an opportunity to upgrade from Win7 to XP. I've ordered a secondhand copy of XP from eBay, so I'll give that a go when it arrives...

Cheers,

Gary.

Intern
The7
Message 4 of 6 (1,868 Views)

Most SSD could be optimized automatically in Win7.

It is necessary to optimize SSD manually in XP.

So it is more preferable to run SSD in Win 7 although it will use more storage.

Another suggestion if you want to run Windows and Ubuntu in one SSD.

After the SSD is cloned and recovered to the factury condition, using disk management to shrink, and create an extra logical drive,

Format this new logical drive as a bootable drive and load the Ubuntu.

Then you may two bootable logical drives as you intend.

However I haven't tried it and don't know if it works.

Honor Student
Gary_Boldie
Message 5 of 6 (1,851 Views)

Ah, that could be a bit of a problem with my plan.

I'm still quite keen to upgrade to XP though and I'll only be using it occasionally, so hopefully I can get away with some fairly simple fiddling like just turning off the swap file (The laptop has 4GB of RAM).

I'll try the upgrade to XP first and, If it looks like a non-starter, I'll try your scheme for re-installing Win 7.

Cheers,

Gary.

Honor Student
Gary_Boldie
Message 6 of 6 (1,794 Views)

Well, the eBay XP disk seems to have worked. I've managed to not-only get Windows working again where the HP method failed miserably, but I've also managed to upgrade from W7 to XP in the process. There were driver issues, of course, but this post sorted them out.  I'm not sure why going from Vista to XP is described as a downgrade though :smileywink:

Of course, I'll be doing 99% of my computing on Ubuntu anyway, but for those annoying "we can only be bothered to support Windows" moments, it's nice to have an efficient OS again. Well, a less inefficient one at-least.

I haven't made any SSD related changes to XP, but I'm hoping to get away with it since I'll use it so little. The Corsair website claims you don't need to make any changes to support SSD I have. Then again, they would say that wouldn't they?

Cheers,

Gary.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation