Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Worked for me Compaq 6710b

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Oh, sweet! I have the same problem with it restarting, you can read about it here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Recovery/HP-Compaq-6710b-BIOS-problem/td-p/1704929

How do you hard reset/CMOS reset?

No diskette drive on my 6710b, only usb and cd.

cd is too slow, computer restarts before cd loads.

haven't tried usb yet.

I need a way to stop it from restarting, I think this is what i need.

HP Recommended

Hi Ian_Sannar,
I going to try explain You whole procedure:

Recovering the BIOS:

1.  You will need the External USB Floppy Drive and formatted diskette.

2.  Download ROMPaq utility for your notebook type from HP drivers website. This utility will create diskette with BIOS file.

3.  Remove battery and power supply from your bricked notebook. Make Hard reset (Pressing power button for 30s), CMOS reset (remove small battery powering BIOS settings for few minutes, its located under keyboard) It's not necessary but I recommend

4.  Connect External USB Floppy Drive with inserted diskette including bios file, to USB port on the left side.

5.  Press "Win" + "B" buttons on keyboard and hold.

6.  Connect power supply to your notebook and turn it on pressing power button. You must hold "Win" + "B" buttons still pressed.

7.  After notebook turning ON should blink CapsLock indicator and External USB Floppy Drive will start load new bios from diskette. Now you can release "Win" + "B" buttons. Recovery procedure takes about 1 minute (CapsLock flashing, Black screen). Notebook will reboot itself after BIOS recovery procedure completed.

I try Bios recovery on 6710b with USB Flash drive and CD, but with no succes.
I think only way how to recovery BIOS on 6710b is with External USB Floppy Drive and diskette.

Regards

HP Recommended

Sorry, but I can't really figure out how to get the keyboard out, or to access the CMOS battery. I did Hard reset, but how does that help? (seeing as the battery is removed)

If I figure it out I will let you know, but help is appreciated.

HP Recommended

ok, looked it up on hp support. got keyboard removed.

found battery size of my thumb and removed it.

how long until I put it back in?

HP Recommended
oh, and one more thing. when do I do hard reset?
HP Recommended
and power supply. isn't that the thing that connects the power button to the battery? How do I remove That?
HP Recommended
Hi Ian_Sannar,
Remove power supply you will do by disconnecting charging adapter from your bricked notebook 🙂 .
Hard reset will discharge every remaining energy from matherboard of your notebook.
CMOS reset do for 10 minutes, it will reset bios settings.
For recovery your bios follow steps in my previous post.
Sory for my bad english.
Regards
HP Recommended

Ok, I thought you meant the whole big-capacitor-heat-sink-power-button thing. So I just have to disconnect the charging cable from the laptop? Just making sure.

And 10 minutes? That is great. I popped out the CMOS battery for 3 and was frustrated when it continued on its restarting cycle.

Thanks, I will try that!

HP Recommended
Okay, I tried USB. Didn't work. I just borrowed a Diskette drive and tried that, and it sort of worked. The screen went black, Caps lock flashed (and continued flashing), and Floppy Drive activity was heard (for about 15 seconds). What I didn't do was do Hard/CMOS reset, so it "recovered" for about 5 minutes before I stopped it. I am now attempting a hard and CMOS reset.

HP really needs to put drivers for CD and USB on laptops for BIOS recovery. 🙂
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.