Compaq CQ60 228US wireless not turning on? (494 Views)
Student
kingjd
Message 1 of 2 (494 Views)

Compaq CQ60 228US wireless not turning on?

Does anyone know why it's doing this?

I'm using the Compaq Presario CQ60 228US

For about a week now, I've been having the issue with my wireless button staying amber and not working. When I press it, it says amber, and gives me the message "WLAN: off" and if I press it again, I get the message "WLAN: disabled".
If I go to Control Panel > HP Wireless Assistant, I get an Internet Explorer Script Error message, and it asks me if I want to continue running scripts on the page, no matter if I push 'yes' or 'no' all I get is a blank white screen.
I took my computer to Office Depot for them to look at it, and all he did was run it in Safe Mode and it worked, and then it started working in regular mode for a few days, then when I shut it down, and turned it back on the next day, it wasn't working again. So I went online and looked up a few fixes for the "HP Wireless Assistant not working" and I found something that I could try so I did it, I:
-Updated my BIOS
-Updated my NVidia drivers (Chipset and Video)
-Updated my wireless card. But for some reason, when it's installing, it runs to the end of the installing line, then goes off and doesn't come back, then when I try again, it asks if I want to overwrite anything, I push 'yes to all' and it goes through it again and does the same thing. But when I go to Device Manager and go to my Wireless Card, it doesn't say I updated it, it still has the date of the previous one. 

But after I updated my BIOS, and NVidia drivers, it started working again, but after I re-installed my Norton Antivirus 360 Premier, and restarted my computer, it stopped working again.

Distinguished Professor
pepe999
Message 2 of 2 (464 Views)

Re: Compaq CQ60 228US wireless not turning on?

Norton Antivirus is the problem. I have seen several times that brand new computers couldn't connect to the internet because of Norton Antvirus. I tried everything I know to make it work but the only solution was to uninstall the Norton and use a different antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials works well for me). 

I wouldn't recommend to use any HP application (like HP Update or HP Assistant) for a driver update. Download the driver from a manufacturer's website, uninstall the original driver and then install the propriate one.. 

Dv6-7000 /Core i5-3210M/GF 650M/8GB/Intel Wireless-AC 7260/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Jessie

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation