Question

Top Student
gagutman
Message 1 of 5 (1,764 Views)
Accepted Solution

Compaq CQ61-410US won't boot from CD drive

My new Compaq will not boot from either a UBUNTU or an Acronis CD, it seems to run the drive for a moment then ignore it and boot into Windows 7.  The boot order shows the CD drive first and both CDs will boot fine on other machines.  What's happening?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 5 (1,735 Views)

Re: Compaq CQ61-410US won't boot from CD drive

gagutman wrote:

My new Compaq will not boot from either a UBUNTU or an Acronis CD, it seems to run the drive for a moment then ignore it and boot into Windows 7.  The boot order shows the CD drive first and both CDs will boot fine on other machines.  What's happening?

Have you verified that the drive works in Windows 7?

You might want to read this. There is a Microsoft Fixit available ont the web document.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
gagutman
Message 3 of 5 (1,715 Views)

The drive works fine in Windows 7, the machine just won't boot from the CD, despite the fact that the the DVD-Rom is listed as the first boot device.  Anyway, should booting from the CD have anything to do with the OS on the hard drive?

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 5 (1,699 Views)

HI,

gagutman wrote:

The drive works fine in Windows 7, the machine just won't boot from the CD, despite the fact that the the DVD-Rom is listed as the first boot device.  Anyway, should booting from the CD have anything to do with the OS on the hard drive?

Booting from the CD is a function of the .ROM file in the BIOS chip on the motherboard.

If you removed the hard drive and put in a live version of a Linux distro it should boot into Ubuntu.  

Try the UEFI Diagnostic. I don't know if there is a diagnostic for the DVD drive. 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
gagutman
Message 5 of 5 (1,695 Views)

Thanks and apologies to all...I had mis-read the boot order (twice!), but third time's the charm.  I successfully moved the DVD-ROM to the top of the list and it boots off a CD just fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation