Compaq Presario CQ60-419WM XP Drivers (16311 Views)
Intern
i_am_oasis
Message 11 of 23 (6,244 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario CQ60-419WM XP Drivers

Mbrazil, all of the drivers are here (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=OS&message.id=12874#M12874)

Go to the moderate difficulty and since it's the same computer that I have, AMD you need to format your PC using the XP CD.

Then once you've installed your XP,

install this first

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_winxp_15.26.html

then

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winxp_185.85_whql.html

then
go to Windows Update and let windows download your drivers for you. That's what I did. Windows Update is very "smart" in knowing what peripherals you have on your PC. If you don'T like windows update,

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33839.exe

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp39001-39500/sp39403.exe

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33839.exe

Good luck.

Honor Student
Public_Domain
Message 12 of 23 (6,063 Views)

I've followed the wonderful instructions listed(Thank You for saving me untold hours of trial and error) and everything appears to be working, except the LightScribe doesn't find any LightScribe devices?  I can read and write DVD, no problem and according to the LightScribe website it appears that I have a LightScribe drive installed, but even the LightSribe Diagnotic utility doesn't find a LightScribe drive?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 13 of 23 (6,051 Views)

interesting info.

Do lightscribe drive can be identifed when it was in Vista?

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Honor Student
Public_Domain
Message 14 of 23 (6,047 Views)

Quite frankly, I don't know, I didn't try it.  I kept the Vista hard drive in original condition and installed an 320gb that I did the XP install on, so I can swap the drives and check.  Might be a day or two before I get a chance though.  Thought maybe somebody else had run into this already.  Thanks
Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 15 of 23 (6,043 Views)

Usually this kind of problem do not happen.

You might have a faulty drive, swap you HD and test it.

I have lightscribe drive that working in XP and Vista by using the same software.

The lightscribe software supports both XP and Vista

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Honor Student
scottbin
Message 16 of 23 (5,254 Views)

Late answer, you probably have everything done by now. 

I found this as most complete and up-to-date list of required drivers.  Don't really need webcam or card reader or bluetooth or lightscribe. 

http://laptop-driver.blogspot.com/2009/10/compaq-presario-cq60-419wm-windows-xp.html

Provost
CherylG
Message 17 of 23 (5,249 Views)

Once you have XP running well with all drivers installed, make an Image of hdd_to easily  restore later if needed_no more driver searches.I have been using Macrium  and it is very good. Will backup to external USB hdd, CD/DVD, network drive,etc. It also creates a bootable cd to boot from and restore your entire OS ,programs and files in the event of problems.

Macrium Reflect Disk Imaging HERE

An alternative software & helpful Video HERE

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
mazerunner
Message 18 of 23 (4,945 Views)

This post is for anyone who purchased the Compaq CQ60-419WM (Walmart was offering these for $299 last weekend), and wants to downgrade from Vista to XP. The good news is it can be done!

BEFORE YOU DELETE VISTA OR REFORMAT THE HARD DRIVE PRIOR TO INSTALLING WINXP - you will be reusing some of the OEM drivers for your XP installation.
1. Locate the following four folders on the hard disk and copy them to an external USB storage device or burn them to a CD.

C:\SwSetup\Drivers\Modem\V32\.
Rename the copied folder "Modem Driver"

C:\SwSetup\Drivers\Touchpad\.
Rename the copied folder "Synaptics Tochpad Driver"

C:\SwSetup\Drivers\Video\WinVista\.
Rename the copied folder "NVIDEA HDMI Driver"

C:\SwSetup\Drivers\WLAN\.
Rename the copied folder "Atheros WiFi Driver"

In addition to the above four driver sets, you will need to download the following:
Chipset and Ethernet drivers: "15.25_nforce_winzp32_international_whql.exe" from NVIDIA.com
Video Graphics card drivers: "185.85_notebook_winxp_32bit_whql.exe" from NVIDIA.com.

Microsoft UAA Audio Bus Driver kb888111. This is a "hotfix" you will download from Microsoft. It will include a bunch of different OS and Language versions that you will have to narrow down. Be careful to select the proper file that matches the WinXP Service Pack (1 or 2) that you are using. NOTE: THIS DRIVER MUST BE INSTALLED BEFORE THE CONEXANT 221 AUDIO, MODEM, AND NVIDIA HDMI DRIVERS!!

"cx20561_hd_smart_audio221xp.zip", from DriverGuide.com. This is the sound card driver. Unzip this file and save the contents in a folder "Conexant 221 Sound Card Driver" on your external storage device.

In addition to the drivers listed above, the C:\SwSetup\ folder on your new Presario's hard disk contains Microsoft Works, Adobe Reader 9, and the CyberDVD software package (for burning CD's and DVD's). If you want to use this software on XP, you also need to copy these folders to an external storage device.

At this point, you should also make a set of Vista Recovery Discs if you have not already done so. Follow the instructions that came with your laptop on how to do this.

WARNING: VERIFY THAT YOUR RECOVERY DISCS ARE ERROR FREE AND THAT THEY ACTUALLY WORK BEFORE REPARTITIONING OR REFORMATING YOUR HARD DRIVE. ONCE YOU START THE XP INSTALL, THESE RECOVERY DISCS ARE YOUR ONLY NO-COST RESOURCE TO BRING THE LAPTOP BACK TO FUNCTIONALITY IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG WITH THE XP INSTALL! ALSO NOTE THAT IF THE LAPTOP MALFUNCTIONS AND YOU WANT TO HAVE IT REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY, YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-INSTALL VISTA. HEWLETT-PACKARD WILL NOT DO WARRANTY REPAIRS ON COMPUTERS THAT ARE RETURNED WITH OTHER THAN THE OEM OPERATING SYSTEM INSTALLED.

Once you have verified that you have error-free copies of the OEM drivers from your C:\SwSetup\ folders, and the Internet download sites, on an external storage device, you can start your XP install.

When the XP install is finished, install the device drivers in this order, checking in Device Manager that the drivers are working properly (those yellow exclamation marks will go away).
1. "15.25_nforce_winzp32_international_whql.exe". When this package is completed, and the machine rebooted, you should have a working Ethernet and your Internet connection should be available (if you have Cable or DSL).
2. "185.85_notebook_winxp_32bit_whql.exe". This package will enable your video card, and you should have all modes and resolutions available.
3. Run the "setup.exe" file in the "Atheros WiFi Driver" folder you saved on your external storage device or CD/DVD. This will enable your WiFi card.
4. Run the "setup.exe" file in the "Synaptics Touchpad Drivers" folder you saved on your external storage device or CD/DVD.
5. Run the appropriate installer you downloaded from Microsoft for the UAA Bus Driver. For example, if you have WinXP with Service Pack 2, you will use the file named "kb888111xpsp2.exe". This will enable the Universal Audio Bus in your laptop, and you will now see three "yellow" devices in Device Manager, with three Dialog Boxes asking you to install the drivers. Close these for the time being.
6. Run the "setup.exe" file in the "Conexant 221 Sound Card Driver" folder on your external storage device. You should now have sound through the computer's speakers and headphone jack. Reboot the machine.
7. When the machine finishes rebooting, you will see two "Found New Hardware" dialog boxes. One of these is the Modem and the other is the HDMI Driver. Do these steps for each of the Found New Hardware Wizard dialog boxes:
a. The dialog box will ask if it can connect to Windows Update - select "No", then "Next"
b. Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)", then "Next"
c. Select "Search for the Best Driver" and "Include this Location", then "Browse" for the external storage device you placed the drivers in. First select the folder with the "NVIDIA HDMI Driver". The "OK" button should turn from gray to black. Click the "OK" button. If this turns out to not be the correct driver for the current Wizard, go "Back" and re-run Step "c" on the "Modem Driver" folder.
8. If the HDMI driver was installed in Step 7, repeat steps (a) (b) and (c) for the "Modem Driver" folder (or if the Modem installed in Step 7, install the HDMI driver in this step).

Reboot the machine, then open Device Manager. There should now be no yellow exclamation marks, and all hardware peripherals should be working: These include: Video Card including Multiple Monitor features, Sound Card, Ethernet, WiFi, Modem (if you don't use Dial Up Internet, you likely will never use the modem), the Touchpad, and all USB ports.

NOTE: Some people have reported partial malfunctions of the Conexant 221 driver on other models of computers, for example the Microphone input not recording any sounds, or Volume through the speakers very low even when set to maximum. I don't have a Microphone on hand to test that function, however, testing with the built-in System sounds (Windows Start up and Shutdown), the sound through the speakers seems as loud as I would expect it to be, so at least the sound output is working.

Good luck! This little Compaq CQ60, for $299, is a pretty nice "starter" laptop, and while not having a blazingly powerful CPU or huge hard disk, it does have a quite nice 1366 x 768 screen, and an external VGA jack that can run a second monitor at resolutions up to at least 1920 x 1080! Downgrading the O/S from Vista to XP should free up considerable "overhead" on the somewhat limited system resources of this laptop, improving overall performance and maybe battery life too. It also sports a full 102-key keyboard with a numeric keypad, a VERY nice feature for a 15" laptop. This a good laptop for travel, too: if it gets lost, stolen, or damaged, the modest $299 price is a lot easier to absorb than the $1500+ that laptops with this much performance had just a couple of years ago.

This laptop does NOT have a firewire connection, and also does NOT have a PC card slot, so there is no way to add Firewire. So, DON"T buy one if you have an idea of using it with a Video camera or any other gadget that needs firewire. The chipset uses an HDMI driver, but there is no HDMI connector. There is a punch-out on the left side of the chassis that looks like it is meant for HDMI; presumeably this laptop's chassis is also used on other, more expensive, HP or Compaq models that have more features. There are USB to HDMI converter boxes available.

Last edited by lgcharlot : 08-02-2009 at 06:09 PM

Student
guinness8888
Message 19 of 23 (4,273 Views)

Hi I am having trouble getting my front audio device to work, for my headset.

I did the downgrade from vista to xp and everything else is working fine. speakers work just not the headset plug in. I have searched all over the net for the right driver but I can not locate it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Intern
i_am_oasis
Message 20 of 23 (4,222 Views)

I would recommend trying to do a windows update... and under the hardware updates, there should be something for your sound card.

Otherwise, I would maybe reinstall the audio driver. It sounds bizarre that only your headset doesn't work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation