Question

Student
maltaman
Message 1 of 22 (39,878 Views)

Computer freezes on hp start up screen

I have a pavillion a320n model with windows xp operating system. When I turn the computer on it freezes on the hp screen. Pressing F1 for setup or F10 for recovery does not work. The screen will just hang there until I turn the computer off. When the computer is powered back up same thing happens, over and over...any thoughts 
Tutor
johnnyzero2a
Message 2 of 22 (39,663 Views)

Re: Computer freezes on hp start up screen

After much trial-and-error, I finally figured out the solution for this common issue with certain HP Pavillion models. It turns out to be a design flaw with the front-panel memory card reader. Somehow the card reader's firmware gets scrambled, and it prevents the computer from booting. You can test this on your machine by temporarily disconnecting the card reader cable at the motherboard header. Voila - I'll bet you $1 that your computer will now boot!

The solution is buried deep inside this HP tech support document. The card reader firmware needs to be reset.

Here\'s how to fix it once and for all:

1) With the computer power unplugged (duh), open up the case & disconnect the card reader cable at the card reader itself - NOT the end that connects to the motherboard header. Make sure the cable end is not touching any metal components before proceeding to step 2 (another duh).

2) With the cable still disconnected, fire up the computer. The tech support doc says to let it boot into Windows and stay there for about 5 minutes.

3) Shut the computer down and reconnect the cable to the card reader.

4) Turn your computer back on - your memory card reader will work and, most importantly, the computer will no longer hang at POST!

I suspect that when you fire up the computer without the cable connected, the card reader is designed to reset its firmware by grounding out through the case - sort of like a CMOS Reset jumper on a motherboard.

I hope this solution is helpful to others.

best,
JohnB
Student
tuckerbc
Message 3 of 22 (38,868 Views)

I wanted to pop this post up as recent, I also have a Pavillion, and had the same issue. I disconnected the memory card connector, my system booted up and ran the Startup Repair, though im not sure i really had to do that, as the outcome was it didnt know how to fix the problem.

But in the end, my PC is working again, and I thank you for your post because I was about to go postal. So thank you once again.

Student
seacoastbill
Message 4 of 22 (37,008 Views)

Just wanted to thank you for the post.  Your solution worked perfectly for me.  I took the computer apart, unhooked the card reader, started it, let it stay on for five minutes (or so), and turned it off, hooked everything back up and voila.  Like a champ.  Thanks again!!

Student
clos520
Message 5 of 22 (36,834 Views)

This is the first solution I found for this specific problem. But before I try opening up the laptop I would like to know Does this solution also works with the Pavilion dv8 series??

Student
jaymzb1
Message 6 of 22 (36,180 Views)

I wanted to bump this, as i tried this solution on my pavilion a1420n, and as soon as I booted up with the cable detached, I get a "NTLDR is missing pres ctrl + alt + del" Can anyone help?

Student
sallykei
Message 7 of 22 (32,244 Views)

Thank you so much for your help, it is because of people like you that people like me (no idea what's inside a computer) can save money on these silly little hang ups. This solution did work but I had to leave the card reader disconnected as when I started it back up with the card reader connected, it was frozen again? Any thoughts?

Thanks so much.

Sally

Top Student
Bigst79
Message 8 of 22 (27,819 Views)

my pc freezes at the hp start screen where you can select set up, boot menu, etc..  i cannot select any of the options with the keyboard.   i unplugged the memory card reader at the reader like suggested and i still have the problem.

Student
kufuri
Message 9 of 22 (25,857 Views)

I have an HP G62 laptop I bought about nine months ago. Today in the mroning a few minutes after using and switching off, I turned it on only to see the HP logo then a blank screen. The computer just blinks the logo and refuses to boot. On the HP logo screen I have a brief second where I can hit ESC which pulls up a screen with different F# options all of which brings me to the same blinking HP logo screen.

Student
JacobusAJu
Message 10 of 22 (23,851 Views)

I've got the same problem, computer powers up but freezes at the HP Logo screen with the slective information on the bottom (Esc, F1, F10, F12) to click for appropriate action. Hitting these buttons doesn't help at all, no response from the keyboard at all. The lights on the keyboard do light up at the PC power up. Disconnected the card reader with the same result, swapped the RAM cards to different slots with no results, left the RAM cards out and the motherboard produced constant beeps, so the motherboard seems to be OK. What else? Replaced the battery, that didn't help either, just can't seem to get into the BIOS. Any other suggestions? Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation