Question

Honor Student
karlde
Message 1 of 7 (11,536 Views)

Connecting Windows 8 to Windows XP on a network

I have two new HP G6 laptops running Windows 8 and my desktop is a Delll 4600 running Windows XP.  I have an HP OfficeJet 5610 connected to the desktop computer.  The desktop is connect to the  DSL Modem via a Cat5 cable.  The laptops connect to it via wireless. 

Going to Windows Explorer and looking at Network on the desktop only shows the desktop.  On the laptops it shows both laptops.  All the computers are on the same workgroup.  I cannot ping the desktop from the laptops and cannot ping the desktop from the laptop. 

In Windows Explorer I have tried to connect to the desktop using \\pc-name and it says it can't find it.  I get the same thing trying to connect the laptops to the desktop.

My goal is to have the laptops use the printer connected to the desktop.

Will a Windows 8 computer communicate with a Windows XP computer via a network?  Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 7 (11,518 Views)

Re: Connecting Windows 8 to Windows XP on a network

Hi:

You're positive the PC's are on the same workgroup?

XP uses a different default workgroup name (MSHOME) than Windows 2000, Vista, W7 or W8.

They all use the default workgroup name of WORKGROUP.

Student
vked
Message 3 of 7 (11,512 Views)

How di I connect my HP SR2030NX computer using XP to the internet through my wireless netbook CQ10-600 verizon told me just a usb adpt. will do is that BS or will it work

Honor Student
karlde
Message 4 of 7 (11,508 Views)

I changed the workgroup on all three computers to the same one.  We checked them a second time to be sure.  They are also on my new work with a wep protection.

I don't know why it won't work.  From what I've read, that is all you need to do to get them to see one another.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 7 (11,506 Views)

You're right, they should all see each other.

You really should be using WPA2-Personal/AES security nowadays.

Did you turn on file and printer sharing on the new laptops?

Did you turn off password protected sharing.

See if this article helps. There is a microsoft fix it tool on the bottom of the page.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8072837_windows-see-other-computers-workgroup.html

Student
bowo
Message 6 of 7 (6,510 Views)

I have a desktop computer with windows XP, and a laptop with windows 8, laptop prints wireless, desktop gives a msg an update has been install that conflicts with desktop settings.  Had no problem with printer until I purchased the laptop with windows 8.

seems I cannot print with two (2) different windows configuation's ??

HP Support Agent
BHK6
Message 7 of 7 (6,120 Views)

Hi bowo,

Welcome to HP Forums! You are able to print from two different operating systems as long as the printer is on the same network as the two networks. The error message on the Win XP desktop you are getting has nothing to with the Win 8 laptop being able to print. Do you recall installing any updates recently on the desktop?

What printer are you using? What is the product number of your desktop PC?

Find your product number on a desktop:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07555

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation