Question

Intern
amberdidi
Message 1 of 4 (585 Views)

Constant windows permission errors

Hi,
I am recieving random popup errors all day long for weeks. It happens when I click to bring up browser and anything else. The error states:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". On the top of the error message it says (C:\PROGRAM~2\Java\jre6\bin\ssvagent.exe.) I have a home computer and I am the only one that uses it and there are no other accounts.

I have pretty well tried everything I could do to find the problem. I have run a through scan with my AntiVirus program (Avast) and it found no infections. I have run a through scan with SpywareSweeper (4 tracking cookies). I ran a short scan with MalewareBytes (no infection) I have done a System file check (sfc /scannow) no issues found. I also ran a scan with Secunia Inspector and everything seems to be up to date. I also have SpywareBlaster installed.

I haven't done an online scan becuase I did not know which one is compatable with my 64-bit system. I have Java update16 installed for a 32-bit system. I did not download the Java update16 for a 64-bit because I wasn't sure if I needed it.

Any help with this problem would be very much appreciated as I am going crazy. Thank you.

HP Pavilion Elite Windows Premium Home Edition   SP2 64-bit
IE8 browser

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 2 of 4 (583 Views)

Re: Constant windows permission errors

Hi amberdidi,

If you have a 64-bit operating system, you should install the Java 64-bit version. From the message you are getting, this looks like a Java issue, which would make sense since the errors occur when you attempt to go online. Java is integrated into most web applications and browsers.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Intern
amberdidi
Message 3 of 4 (581 Views)

Hi,

I also came to that same conclusion and went and downloaded and installed Java update16 for 64-bit, thinking that would fix the problem but it did not. The constant permission popups continued and IE8 also started freezing up randomly.

It wasn't long after that the I realized it had to be a problem with IE8 since I couldn't find anything else. I called Microsoft and stated my claim. Their tech tried to get onto my computer twice trying two different paths but was unable to. He then confirmed that IE8 was corrupt so I went ahead and uniinstalled it and at the moment I am using IE7. I have recieved that popup once since I reverted back to IE7. At the same time I wondering if it is possible that I may be infected with a rookit or something that all these security programs I have, cannot find. Would MalwareBytes not have found something? The only thing I have not tried is an online scan. Any other advise I would appreciate. Thank you.

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 4 of 4 (578 Views)

Hi amberdidi,

Take a look at this HP Support document on resolving IE issues. There may be some other things to try there. Also, now that you have uninstalled IE8, you may want to try uninstalling and reinstalling Java.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation