Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
+1
That is exactly what I was saying.
I have dv6-6bxx laptop and I have the same issue.
HP Recommended

@Joe168

@Joe168 wrote:

can i upgrade HP Pavilion dm4-1004 from windows 7 64 bit  to windows 8 pro 

and how to upgrade it 

thanks

The easiest way to do that is by using the MS anytime upgrade, you'll then be guided through, step by step by the GUI guide. else, u can opt for the DVD version too.

PS: using anytime upgrade (as i am doing this very moment of replying) you gonna save a lot of time and money!!! it's on offer now!

HP Recommended

I have pavilion dv6-7040tx and BIOS version is F.22 ,but according to list shown it should be  F.13.Is there any problem in having this BIOS.

HP Recommended
So far I know BIOS do nothing in the run time. It is required just to boot the OS. If I do not have any problem in booting OS, do I still need to update BIOS?
HP Recommended

Hello sam781. I understand you're curious about whether or not you should perform a suggested BIOS update.

The BIOS works the entire time that you are using the notebook. It is a sort of middle man between the hardware and the operating system. It governs how these two systems interact. I suggest keeping your BIOS up to date as it is good preventative maintenance. It may not directly solve an issue which you are having but it could very well solve (or keep you from having) a future problem.

However, there is some risk when updating your BIOS so you need to make sure to be careful. If you update the BIOS incorrectly you could turn the notebook into a paper weight and have to send it in for repairs.  So, I have a few suggestions for when you decide to update your BIOS.

1. Ensure that you've backed up any data you wouldn't want to lose from your hard drive.
  2. Make sure that your computer's battery is completely charged and connected to AC power.
  3. Do not perform the update during a storm or during a time in which you may lose power.
  4. Do not, under ANY circumstances, power down your notebook during a BIOS update.
  5. Ensure that you perform all other updates through HP Support Assistant and Windows Update before updating the BIOS.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask. I hope you enjoy the rest of your afternoon!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot...

HP Recommended

For those of you with an HP Envy DV6 7200ea (possibly will work for other models) :

I upgraded my BIOS from v12 to v23 without any problems.

Noticed that the boot-time has now gone from 5.5 seconds to 4.0 seconds.

Side-note: Still having headache with windows 8 :Crying:

HP Recommended

I understand that this forum is for notebooks that have been tested by HP but I don't see any other place to make a statement like this. I have an HP dv5-2144 (64 bit)with a windows7 sticker on it. Are you honestly telling me that HP doesn't support an upgrade to to the first follow-on release of windows? seriously?

I have 2 laptops with HP on them and I had issues about the battery and heat in the first one (which HP support actually recommended that I replace the hard drive, to solve my problem because a battery replacement wasn't covered).

For some crazy reason I still went out and bought my son this dv5 2 years ago. Maybe you don't care if I ever buy another HP..you might care if my son and his friends don't..then again you might not even care about that. 
 If I am mistaken please tell me and I will humbly apologize. I honestly hope that is the case.

HP Recommended

I'm honestly blown away that HP has not provided any Windows 8 drivers for the 

HP Pavilion dv6t-6100 CTO Quad Edition

Just because I customized the GPU during my ordering process now I don't have Windows 8 support? 

HP Recommended
Thanks for this information
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.