08-20-2014 10:23 AM
I have a Pavilion DV6700 Notebook. Experienced a hdd failure and unable to recover. Bought new hard drive, unable to load OS of any variety (XP Pro, Vista or Win 7 Pro). I do not have a recovery disk unfortunately. I changed the boot option to CD/DVD, disk spins - light whirls - then stops - will not boot from CD then MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM is on the black screen. I have attempted the bootable USB as well with the same change of booting to USB, etc. No bueno.
I have ran the hdd and memory tests. Both are good. Just will not BOOT .... very frustrated
08-21-2014 10:27 AM
Hello @Dittle68 ,
Welcome to the HP Forums!
I understand you had an HDD failure, and after replacing the drive are unable to install Windows or boot to CD.
Try restoring the BIOS: Restoring the BIOS.
If you still cannot boot to CD to install Windows it would be best for you to contact HP Phone Support for service options. You can contact HP Technical Support at 1-800-474-6836 in North America. For all other regions click here.
Hope this helps!
- Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8)
- Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7)
- Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 8)
- Read this before ordering your Recovery Discs! (US and Canada Only)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8)
- Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7)