Question

Honor Student
Ra1der
Message 1 of 4 (593 Views)

DV7-6150 Sata drivers 7->XP

Cannot find proper storage drivers. Tried few different versions of Intel mobile express AHCI drivers, stop 7E acpi.sys everytime.

Keeping win7 is not an option. BIOS is simple, no option for ide. I've read all sticky topics.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (580 Views)

Re: DV7-6150 Sata drivers 7->XP

Hi:

You read the info on how to slipstream all of the SATA AHCI drivers?

What is the name of the SATA AHCI controller you have?

Look in the device manager under the IDE ATA ATAPI controllers section.

Paul

Honor Student
Ra1der
Message 3 of 4 (571 Views)

Yes, i've read everything.

Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C03&SUBSYS_1659103C&REV_05

Intel Cougar Point-M PCH - SATA AHCI 6-port Controller

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (565 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

I would get a USB FDD and extract the drivers I have attached below to a floppy, or you can try slipstreaming all of these drivers if you wish.

You need WinZip to extract these, I believe. That is what I had to use to zip them at this time.

Based on what you posted, the driver you need is indeed the Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller.

I don't know if you have ever used the F6 method of installation before, so I will give you the cliff notes version of how to do it based on my personal experience doing this several times before.

On Windows PC, extract the files I have attached below to a FDD using a USB FDD (yes, that is the only media you can use).

Do not put them in a folder on the FDD. Just extract them straight onto the FDD as they come.

Plug the USB floppy drive  with the extracted AHCI drivers on your FDD into the laptop you are installing XP on.

Boot up the PC and tap the F9 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to launch the 1 time boot menu.

Insert your XP installation disk into the DVD drive, select the DVD drive as the boot device, hit the return screen and watch the screen for the attempting to boot from CD message.

The XP installation dialog begins and when you see that press the F6 key if you need to load SATA RAID drivers, hit the F6 key at that prompt.

XP will now continue to load some files, and then stop. At this point you will see a dialog about loading the drivers and there will be an 'S' prompt.  You should now see some of your SATA AHCI drivers displayed on your screen. Now, at this point you need to use your Up/Down arrow keys to scroll to and select the applicable driver for Windows XP to load into its driver database. Once you find the Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller, you hit the 'S" key and at that point, your FDD should spring to life as XP loads the files it needs from the FDD.

Cross your fingers and hope the installation routine now continues on.

Do not remove the FDD until XP is completely installed. It hits the FDD one or two more times during the install.

I once made the mistake of assuming that once XP initially got the drivers from the FDD at the 'S' prompt, I was done.  The dialog does not tell you to retain or remove the FDD once you initially load the drivers.

So, I took the liberty of removing the drive, and paid for it.  Had to start all over again.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation