DVD issue with HP laptop G56 (434 Views)
Student
vmlt
Message 1 of 2 (434 Views)

DVD issue with HP laptop G56

We bought my mother-in-law an HP G56 laptop with Windows 7 installed last year.

Shortly after she bought it, the CD drive (DVDRAM GT30L) would no longer read CDs. The drive would light up as if reading the CD, then shut off.

When I check Device Manager, an error message that the device is disabled or "in use by another device" appears (code 32). I think it may be a corrupt device driver rather than a problem with the drive itself. Any suggestions as to how to fix? Thanks.

Distinguished Professor
pepe999
Message 2 of 2 (411 Views)

Re: DVD issue with HP laptop G56

vmlt wrote:

We bought my mother-in-law an HP G56 laptop with Windows 7 installed last year.

Shortly after she bought it, the CD drive (DVDRAM GT30L) would no longer read CDs. The drive would light up as if reading the CD, then shut off.

When I check Device Manager, an error message that the device is disabled or "in use by another device" appears (code 32). I think it may be a corrupt device driver rather than a problem with the drive itself. Any suggestions as to how to fix? Thanks.

Code 32

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

Cause

The start type for this driver is set to disabled in the registry.

Recommended resolutions

Reinstall the driver for this device. If this does not work, you might have to change the device start type parameter in the registry.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

1. On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

Change the start type in the Registry

This content is designed for an advanced computer user.

As a last resort, you can edit the registry directly if the driver is required, and if reinstalling or upgrading does not work. Change the start type inside the registry by using Registry Editor. For more information, see the Registry Reference in the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit at the following Microsoft Web site:

Dv6-7000 /Core i5-3210M/GF 650M/8GB/Intel Wireless-AC 7260/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Jessie

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation