Question

Honor Student
willy_boy
Message 1 of 5 (346 Views)

Is the HP DVD550s External Slim USB powered DVD writer and it driver software compatible with Windows 8?

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 5 (337 Views)

Re: DVD550s

Hi,

Yes it is.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
willy_boy
Message 3 of 5 (304 Views)

Thank you banhein. I used the DVD550s on a Win8 based  Asus laptop and I was able to install various software and play audio CDs using the Windows Media player.  However, when I attempted to play a video DVD, it didn't work. The contents of the video DVD did not show up in the Win Media player window, although I could see the DVD files and folders from the "My Computer" window.

But on a Win7 based HP laptop I was able to play the same video DVD using the DVD550s using the Win Media Player. Please let me know why this problem happens on the Win8 system (and not the Win7 system).

Since the DVD550s specification mentions that it is "TV linkable", I tried connecting this drive to my Sony TV. While the drive seems to be getting detected, it simply displays the files and folders in the DVD on the TV screen instead of playing the DVD. After that nothing happens.

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 4 of 5 (300 Views)

Hi Willy_boy.

I understand that you are having difficulties playing videos from your DVD550s and windows 8. The specifications only list up to windows 7. Windows 8 Media player does not support DVDs  because it does not have the codex files. You can purchase a third party program and it should fix the issue.If you are interested in purchasing windows media center follow this link.
http://bit.ly/IJZ0tt
Hope this is helpful.

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 5 of 5 (286 Views)

Hi Willy_boy:

I am sending you link to a Windows document on "Codecs: FAQ's which I think will help you to understand the issue

.click here

I hope this explains why this happened and how to correct it.

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation