Delete "HP_Tools" and Recreate it as a logical partition (10142 Views)
Student
Davide_S
Message 1 of 6 (10,142 Views)
Accepted Solution

Delete "HP_Tools" and Recreate it as a logical partition

Hi! I should do some operations on hard disk's partitions. Now I have 4 primary partitions: System, the partition with Win7, Recovery, and HP_Tools. I need another primary partition, and I don't want to delete HP_Tools!! This is my idea:

1- Create a "system image" of the operative system on DVDs and delete Recovery;

2- Create an image of HP_Tools and delete it;

3- Create an extended partition. Then create a logical partition and restore HP_Tools in it.

So, HP_Tools will keep its functions? Or it can't work correctly as a logical partition?

Thank you,

Davide

Associate Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 6 (10,131 Views)

Re: Delete "HP_Tools" and Recreate it as a logical partition

Yes, you can create the Recovery kit and then delete the Recovery Partition. Here is the link that has the steps to create and then how to use them in future:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01895783&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us#WhenCreate

You can delete the HP tools partition and create it on a flash drive or a pen drive. Here is the link that will help you to download the utility that will help you to recreate HP tools partition on the hard drive or on the flash drive:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-99123-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the left side of my post to say thanks!***
Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 3 of 6 (10,072 Views)

Hi,
Check the link below:
How to repartition HDD of HP notebook with pre-loaded Windows 7.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Top Student
pbasch
Message 4 of 6 (9,450 Views)

Hi! I have a question about the HP_Tools partition. I just installed an SSD on my dv7t-6100.  I migrated my OS to the SSD, and it works great.  The 199MB "System" partition now lives on the SSD, but the HP_Tools partition stayed on the HDD.  Is that OK?  Can it live there and do whatever it's supposed to do?

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 5 of 6 (9,417 Views)

@pbasch

Hi,

Press F2 on the startup. If the HP System Diagnostics will show up then HP_Tools partition is still working like it should.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Tutor
gregor3000
Message 6 of 6 (7,876 Views)

i am still not sure if this actually works or answers this part of the question:

3- Create an extended partition. Then create a logical partition and restore HP_Tools in it.

So, HP_Tools will keep its functions? Or it can't work correctly as a logical partition?

Is HP_Tools just a simple FAT partition with some programmes on it? Why does it need special software in order to back it up? is it the same if i copy the files from it to a USB key and then delete the partition. Then create a new logical FAT32 partition in it's place with same name and then copy all data to it.

i juast need a primary parittion to stick linux on it and i do not understand why all parittions (tools, system and windows recovery) are set as primary by default thus occupying the max 4 primary limit. does it have to be like that or can hp_tools become a logical/extended parittion and still function as it was ment to.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation