Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion dv6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello, so ufter updating my laptop to windows 10 i can't log in to my acount by using the fingerprint. when i log in with the password and then swip my finger it opens the degital persona program normally. what should i do? thanks for your help!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@jacob23

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

The following is entirely speculation; you did not provide your specific Product Number .

Although JNSNAMS was kind enough to quote one of my Posts for you and give you some basic information you might have guessed by now that there may be some lingering issues.

If your system is actually old enough to have been using the original Digital Persona program, it is also an older system featuring the fingerprint hardware that uses a much older Driver (software program) to connect that fingerprint hardware to the Digital Persona program.

Issues:

• Digital Persona was not written to run on any Operating System beyond Windows 7  -- in short:  the Digital Persona program will probably not run on Windows 10
  • The Driver required to run the fingerprint reader hardware on the computer is not compatible with the new HP SimplePass programs that run on the new Windows Operating System versions, including Windows 10
  • If you never Exported your Webcards (website passwords), you are probably too late to do that now -- unless you want to "go back" to your previous OS and start over.  You cannot use the DP Export for other programs -- but if you do not know your Website passwords, you could at least write down those passwords for future reference.

Possible solutions:

==========================================================================

Option 1

If you are prepared to experiment, you might be able to at least get Windows 10 to accept the old Driver software for the purpose of using the Native Windows Fingerprint logon.

• Remove Digital Persona from Programs and Features
  • Reboot / Restart the Computer and log in

• Uninstall -- do NOT delete the existing Driver from the Device Manager
  • Reboot / Restart the computer and log in
  • The Driver should reinstall itself during reboot / login
  • Check PC Settings > Account > Sign-in Options

The bad news:  Even if this works, you do not have any website login with the fingerprint reader.  Windows Native login only handles the "logon" to Windows.  Who knows?  This may change...

Option 2

• Purchase a USB Mini Fingerprint Reader -- the Drivers are self contained and the device works with the HP SimplePass program.

• Download and install Series 8 HP SimplePass for Windows 10

This is a BIG change -- the program is different from Digital Persona, you cannot transfer your Website passwords (and so must retype everything from scratch), the program is not yet as robust, the program "looks different" and feels funny to those used to a different way of doing things...

On the other hand -- this method works and you get to log into Websites using a fingerprint reader.

Reference, Help, Tips:

Instructions to Upgrade HP SimplePass

Read the first page: Dragon Document Guidelines

Section(s)

USB-Mini Fingerprint Reader -- Series 6 / Series 8

Procedure - Update / (Re) Install HP SimplePass

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

i'm so thankfull for your reply. i just want to say that my problem isn't to get into websites by using fingerprint. i just want to use it to open my acount when i shut down my computer and restart it. And about the missing information, do i have to send the serial number? thank you.

HP Recommended

Jacob,

The Product Number is used to verify your computer's precise model number / name.

You need not give out your computer's serial number to anyone except HP (or to the Police if the unit is stolen) -- the Serial Number is private information.

The Product Number can be used so you can find your computer's go to your computer's Support Page: 

Support Home

===============================================================

I do have the following -- whether it is of use depends on the version of the Digital Persona Program you were running -- and whether or not Windows 10 might be willing to run the program in Compatibility mode.  Meh.  Might be worth a try if you are interested.

See:

Instructions to Update Digital Persona

See Section titled:

• Compatibility Mode

==================================================================

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

When you installed Windows 10, did you accept Window's (Cortana's) recommendation (insistence) to change your system login to use a Microsoft account as a login? That happened to me. So on login, your fingerprint will continue to attempt to log in using the machine's local password, but Windows is expecting the Microsoft Account password for login, so the fingerprint login fails. I had to log into the machine manually using the Microsoft password. Once logged in, Digital Persona continues to work correctly logging me into web sites (only with IE, not Microsoft Edge).

I changed the password for my machine account back to the original local password. That way my fingerprint logs me into the machine and Digital Personal also works to log me into web sites. However, Cortana keeps insisting that I change my machine login password to the Microsoft account. I've considered changing my local password to match the Microsoft account, hoping that the fingerprint might allow me to log in, but I don't know if that would work. I'm reluctant to do that for security reasons. Use the same password for my local machine as for an online account? I don't think so. I worry about security with the Microsoft login scheme anyway. I've just given up on Cortana, if only I could figure out how to turn off the nags.

HP Recommended

porfavor  digital persona

HP Recommended

digital persona

HP Recommended

sevelinti@abv.bg

HP Recommended

@jacob23 wrote:

i'm so thankfull for your reply. i just want to say that my problem isn't to get into websites by using fingerprint. i just want to use it to open my acount when i shut down my computer and restart it. And about the missing information, do i have to send the serial number? thank you.

HP Recommended

Read what you said to the person who originally posted. My HP Dv6 notebook computer with a fingerprint reader with Digital Persona did continue to work after I upgraded to Windows 10. Then I had a glitch with my Left and Right buttons below my touchpad as to which button was the Primary. As I am left handed I've always had the Right button as the Primary, but the glitch, switched me back to the default with the Left Button as the Primary. Then when I tried to switch it back it wouldn't allow me and I had to get assistance to switch it back to Right button as Primary not through Settings, but through Control Panel.

That then escalated into this problem with my Fingerprint Reader which will let me go all the way to scanning my right index fingerprint, but then it states that the Fingerprint Reader isn't connected, but doesn't explain how to reconnect it. I've been told by some of your associates to uninstall digital persona and install another driver, but no explanation which other driver. You're the first to flat out state tha digital persona is excusively for Windows 7 and not made for Windows 10.

I wish the gutless cowards at Microsoft had the intelligence to be out front and honest and tell us Windows 7 Pro owners that it was OKAY not to upgrade our computers to Window 10. Unless they are as dumb as they make themselves out to be they should have thought at somepoint that my almost 5 year old Dv6 laptop will need to be replaced with a computer containing Windows 10, DUH! That is unless I figure it's about time to pay a premium and upgrade to an APPLE.    

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.