Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I wonrk for a company supplying ePOS equipment - when a till goes wrong we can set up people's perosnal laptops to function as a temporary ePOS machine until a replacement arrives.

This requires installation of thermal receipt printer drivers - unfortunately the manufacturer has not got them digitaly signed.

One of our clients had an HP Windows 8.1 laptop (model unknown but that's not important), upon trying to follow procedures to disable digital signature enforcement ( which normally goes - Advanced Startup > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Statup Settings) the normal troubleshoot menu has been replaced by some HP recovery thing - this has removed the necessary functions.

Is there any way around this? I cannot find any info on the HP site even acknowledging this. I've spent nearly two hours on the phone unsucessfully trying to get this working when it should be a pretty quick and straightforward procedure.

I'm quite annoyed.

What gives, HP??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Here's an alternative method.

Open an elevated command prompt and enter the following.

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

Restart the notebook.

To re-enable, just enter the above commands again, substituting ENABLE instead of DISABLE and OFF instead of ON

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Here's an alternative method.

Open an elevated command prompt and enter the following.

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

Restart the notebook.

To re-enable, just enter the above commands again, substituting ENABLE instead of DISABLE and OFF instead of ON

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Awesome advice - exactly what I needed. Thank you!

This is actually better than the standard procedure and no guides online anywhere mention this!

Kudos to you!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi

The DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS command successfully applies. When command bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON, I get this: "An error has occured setting the element data. Value is protected by Secure Boot protocol; it can not be changed nor erased"

I'm using windows 8.1 x64 on Asus N56Vz

What gives?

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I am using HP 250, I am trying to disable driver digital signature in windows 8.1

The DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS command successfully applies.

However, when command bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON, I get this: "An error has occured setting the element data. Value is protected by Secure Boot protocol; it can not be changed nor erased"

May I know is there any other option I can do in order to disable driver digital signature?

HP Recommended

It seems that the Alien Blob that runs microsoft from deep beneath the earth has decided that this fix no longer works with windows 8.1.

We need our computers to talk to hardware. This registration mechanism is a clear example of a software company tanlged up in it's own self importance, merrily skipping off into the tangled undergrowth, as all its' customers abandon it. A company that will quickly fade in to oblivion and irrelevance. Where will their precious global hardware registration system be then ?. In the garbage where it belongs.

Digital driver signature re-inforcement ??!

Remind me to use this next time I am installing a control system for a nuclear reactor.

In the mean time, I want to print out a girrafe on a 3D printer, so the best solution is just download and install free linux, and cast windows 8.1 out the window(s).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.