Question

Teacher
X_Xeroid
Message 1 of 8 (434 Views)
Accepted Solution

Disk Defragmenter

I have a Pavilion dv4-1125nr PC running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit. While running disk defragmenter everything seems to be working OK with the disk LED flashing at a regular interval. I realize disk defragmenter can take a long time.  After about 3 or 4 minutes I think it goes to sleep and stops defragmenting because the screen goes black, all indicator lamps go out, the on switch lamp flashes, the power lamp flashes, and the disk LED stays off. The computer will stay in this state until I touch the mouse pad or a key and then it will go back into the Defrag process. Does the Defrag actually stop running during this time and if so, is there anything I can do to prevent it?  Thanks

Grad Student
Homerepairman
Message 2 of 8 (416 Views)

Re: Disk Defragmenter

If its running as a scheduled task it will do this.

You can modify the task if you wish and stop this.

There are conditions of the task you can change.

Or you can run it manually.

Teacher
X_Xeroid
Message 3 of 8 (394 Views)

Thanks  I am running it manually when this happens, however it is set up to run automatically. I shut my computer down when its not in use, so its never on during the scheduled time. I didn't think it would run with my computer off, so that's why I run it manually.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 8 (389 Views)

Hi,

The free version of Auslogics Disk Defrag is much faster than the application included with Windows.  You can download the installer for this on the following link.

http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html?part=dl-6267754&subj=dl&tag...

When you first run the application, make sure that Local Disk C is the only option ticked in the list of drives/partitions to be defragmented.  There is no benefit in defragging the other partitions and this can cause issues.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Teacher
X_Xeroid
Message 5 of 8 (381 Views)

Does Disk Defrag actually stop working when this happens, and if so, by removing it from a scheduled time, will my problem disappear? Am I correct that it will not run with my computer turned off nor will it run when my computer is turned on after the scheduled time? Thanks

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 8 (376 Views)

Hi,

You are quite correct that the windows defragmenter will not run with the notebook off or if the notebook is turned on after the time the application was scheduled to start.

If you are not going to use Windows Deframenter, I would recommend turning it off as described on the following link.

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable_disk_defragmenter_schedule.htm

All the best,

DP-K

Teacher
X_Xeroid
Message 7 of 8 (367 Views)

Thanks for the info.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 8 of 8 (353 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome :smileyhappy:

All the best,

DP-K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation