Downgrade back to windows 7 from windows 8 pro Hp Envy dv6-1090ee (1223 Views)
Top Student
jadjoud
Message 1 of 3 (1,223 Views)
Accepted Solution

Downgrade back to windows 7 from windows 8 pro Hp Envy dv6-1090ee

I recently bought a new Hp envy dv6-1090ee that had windows 7 preinstalled. i used the offer of upgrading to windows 8 pro for 14.99$ but i did not like the new windows 8 interface and i would like to downgrade back to my original windows 7 with factory settings.

I checked multiple sources for the best way and ended up more confused than when i started. I really hope i can get the best solution here or at least directed to the best site where i could follow proper directions.

Some useful info:

I upgraded to windows 8 pro and didnt do a clean install (i still have a windows.old folder).

I do not have recovery disks for my windows 7.

I do not remember the windows 7 version i had.

I have an old windows 7 installation disk but i dont know the product key that came for windows 7 with the laptop.

Intern
tru2dat
Message 2 of 3 (1,213 Views)

Re: Downgrade back to windows 7 from windows 8 pro Hp Envy dv6-1090ee

Based on HP statements about upgrading to Windows 8, you can only restore the original Windows 7 configuration if you have made the recovery discs (or order the discs from HP). You can of course buy your own Windows 7 disc (still available for sale) and install it yourself, then re-download all the drivers from HP's support site for your laptop model.

If you want the Windows 7 user interface on Windows 8, there are several freeware and low-cost programs that let you do so. I currently use Stardock Start8 (cost me $4), but if you don't want to pay, there are plenty of freeware alternatives, such as Classic Shell or StartW8. All these programs allows you to boot straight to the desktop and let you have the Start Menu back. You never have to see the new Start Screen.

Top Student
jadjoud
Message 3 of 3 (1,194 Views)

Re: Downgrade back to windows 7 from windows 8 pro Hp Envy dv6-1090ee

I just wanted to say that i was able to solve my problem with a very simple method. I contacted HP support through my HP support assistant at home and the solution was much easier than i anticipated.

Since i only upgraded, i still had the windows.old folder. so i followed the following procedure:

1. Restart my pc.

2. Pressed F11 before windows 8 started.

3. the recovery manager opened.

4. I chose to restore computer to factory settings without backing up (since i had already backed up all my data on a Portable hard disk previously).

5. the setup started and the computer was brand new again.

Everything worked fine. thank you HP support.

this is a solution to my personal problem and on my specific model, i do not know if it works on all new HP laptops. My best advice to anyone having a problem is to contact HP support through the HP support assistant, it is a very handy tool.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation