Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (225 Views)

Downgrade from 8 to 7 help, please!!

Good Afternoon,

I just purchased a Pavilion G6-2231dx.  I immediately downgraded to Windows 7. 

I have downloaded most of the necc. drivers I believe to get this thing working properly, but a few issues still arise and I am not finding any resolution on these.

Problem 1) I need two monitors for work, when I hook up another monitor to the VGA (HDMI is not available on the external monitor), nothing comes up.  I tested the monitor with two other laptops (hp and dell), so I know it works fine.  I hit f4 + fn, and have tried every variation of this.  Nothing is recognizing.  I think I have downloaded all the necc.  AMD video drivers and add. drivers from HP?

Problem 2) The webcam works when I log into google hangout.  But I can't get the software working for it, maybe it isn't Win7 compatible, which is no big deal really.  If it works in Google I'm just fine.

Problem 3) When I go to the device manager, it still shows a yellow exclamation near the ethernet controller.  I tried to let the computer search for drivers, but nothing comes up.  At home and the office I use wireless, I will eventually be moving into a new office which will have physical connections so I'd like to get this working in the future as it will speed up my performance.

Please help me, #1 is my major crisis, and 2/3 I can live without if they can't be fixed.

HP will not help me on the phone because I downgraded my software and I don't feel like paying $50.00 for a service that might not help me on the phone. 

Honor Student
Message 2 of 3 (222 Views)

Re: Downgrade from 8 to 7 help, please!!

I should of also noted the reason I downgraded is because I use a program called Encompass 360, presently not supported under W8, although it will work. I didn't want to take the chance so I downgraded. Now when I downgraded I believe I deleted the partition (is that what its called)? My guess is I made a mistake there as I can probably never get that back now right?
Message 3 of 3 (205 Views)

Re: Downgrade from 8 to 7 help, please!!

[ Edited ]

I think I can help...

First, install the AMD chipset driver and reboot.  First download listed.

Then, all of the W7 x64 drivers from this G7 model, which has the same hardware as yours should work (except the BIOS files--you do not need them, they are not for your PC, and do not use those!).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation