Question

Student
smoggiebobcat
Message 1 of 5 (12,390 Views)

Driver power state failure+blue screening

Model: Compaq Presario F700

O/S: Vista

Been having a repeated blue screening with driver power state failure errors. Nothing in the minidump logs relating to them and from the evenlog it appears they are being caused by improper shutdowns, so I'm presuming it's some update that's gone on that requires a re-boot. So today I tried to create myself a set of recovery disks and they failed....

I click on Recovery Manager, the Welcome screen appears, I click on next and the Cancel screen appears with only the option to click on Finish, nothing else. This is the first time I've tried to create a set of recovery disks so clearly there is something wrong.

Any suggestions on how I fix this?

Web sites say I'll have to pay for a new set which seems very unfair since I've never been able to create any in the first place.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 5 (12,381 Views)

Re: Driver power state failure+blue screening

Driver power state failure errors refer to the failure of a third party driver. 

I suggest two things to try.

1) reseat your memory modules. The instructions on emoving the modules are herehttp://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00820047&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3629568. (just in case you don't know how)

2) after you have done the preceding...remove your battery and with the battery out (without AC adapter connected) press the power on button and hold it for a few seconds. Reinstall the battery and attempt a startup.

Please post your results, positive or negative.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
talking2u121
Message 3 of 5 (11,494 Views)

I had the same symptoms "driver power state failure."

Slow startup (sometimes as much as 20 minutes and lots of other symptoms, all were unresolved...

My battery was bad.

Since I've owned a Dell and used it with a bad battery for years, it never occurred to me that with this HP laptop it could be a bad battery.

Here's what  worked for me-

Turn the computer off.

Take the battery out.

Push on the power button for 6 seconds to clear circuits... (This step of clearing the circuits may be unnecessary.)

*With the battery still out of the computer, push the power button once again, to start it normally.

Simple Solution - Run the computer without the battery. 

To get to this simple solution, I went through 4 days of research on the net, a complete reinstall of Vista, including loading all the updates...It was a huge headache. Now the computer seems to opens in around 2 minutes and appears to be working normally.

Hope this works for you.

Good luck 

Student
siamak_vahdani
Message 4 of 5 (9,362 Views)

Model :  HP Pavilion DV6

O/S : Windows 7

I tried the battery idea, but it didn't work. Again for several times, the blue screen come with the "Driver Power State Failure" and the fan is working to in most power and blow so much heat out.

it only hapens when I'm not at my desk for 20 minutes .

Moreover, I have upgraded its RAM for 4 more GB.  Can this be my problem ?

Student
HP_Steven
Message 5 of 5 (9,221 Views)

I've finally found the reason causing this Drive_Power_State_Failure blue screen:

The HP notebook that I use is Compaq CQ45-121TX.  I reported the issue to HP but was told that my warranty is over and they cannot help.

With many testing and I concluded that the network disk that I attached to the home network caused this problem.  With the network connected to the home network via UTP cable and with DHCP, it is impossible to have a proper shut down of the notebook and after some time, the blue screen be the result.  The only way to work again is a hard reset to the power on/off button.

If I remove the network work disk from the router, everything works fine!

Under the Device Manager, the Network Adapter shows 2 warning signs:

1) MAC Bridge Miniport

2) Microsft ISATAP Adapter #3

Tried to see if the drivers for both of the latest and one was positive but the other was not certified and didn't try to update with the uncertified driver.

Hope can work with HP to solve the issue once for all.

Having bought so many HP computers, printers and devices and HP would extend an helping hand to me and all those affected by the same situation.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation