Dv6 BIOS and Fan Issue (2084 Views)
Honor Student
jsmm
Message 1 of 5 (2,084 Views)

Dv6 BIOS and Fan Issue

Hello,

I am having an issue with heat and the fan in my dv6 notebook. I have only had the machine for 4 months and it is quickly taking a turn for the worst. It used to never even get warm or overheat, and I never noticed a noise from the fan until a few weeks ago. Now the fan is constantly running and pulses on every power mode, even 'power saver' and is heating up quickly. I have also noticed a reduction in the overall speed of the computer.

I clean the vents religously, it is free of spyware and virus's, and I have very few startup items. I recently updated the BIOS to F.23, but did not notice any change. I have also tried changing the fan option from 'active' to 'passive' with no results. Also I have around 70 processes running, I am not sure if that is normal or too many.

It is an Intel Core i5 M 460 @ 2.53. 4Gig Ram, ATI Radeon HD 5650. Running 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium.

Am I running the correct BIOS? Why does my fan have to make noise? And how do I shut it up? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Distinguished Professor
pepe999
Message 2 of 5 (2,031 Views)

Re: Dv6 BIOS and Fan Issue

I don't think it's a BIOS issues. I had a similar problem several weeks ago as well. The problem was some windows update ( I have Win 7 x64). I had to turn the streaming off. It's enabled by default and some windows update caused that the system idle process was permanently running at 99/100%..

Dv6-7000 /Core i5-3210M/GF 650M/8GB/Intel Wireless-AC 7260/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Jessie

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Honor Student
jsmm
Message 3 of 5 (2,019 Views)

Thank you for the response. It definitely is an issue with the system idle process, it is running at 99/100%. I disabled windows update but it did not change. Was it a particular update that gave you the trouble? Thanks so much the input.

Distinguished Professor
pepe999
Message 4 of 5 (1,998 Views)

Hi, go to the Open Network and Sharing Center, click on Change advanced sharing settings and turn off media streaming in the home/work profile (any profile). Reboot and this is it.

I don't know what particular update has caused this issue but turning Windows Update off will not solve the problem..:smileyhappy:

Dv6-7000 /Core i5-3210M/GF 650M/8GB/Intel Wireless-AC 7260/Samsung Pro 256GB
HP Touchpad provided by HP
Currently on Debian Jessie

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
Honor Student
jsmm
Message 5 of 5 (1,981 Views)

That seems to have cooled it down significantly, thanks so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation