Question

Top Student
Zuberi
Message 1 of 10 (10,480 Views)

EliteBook 8440p Bios Issue

Hi,

I have recently updated notebook EliteBook 8440p bios from HP site download, It seems to me that new bios version is not compatiable with Windows 7. The win7 is unable to update drivers specially audio and finger print sensor is also not working.  Whereas if i install WinXP every thing is working fine.

How can I restore old bios of the system? (when i update new bios setup it make backup of my old bios) now I like to restore the old bios so that I can run my notebook with win7.

Please help...

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 10 (10,432 Views)

Re: EliteBook 8440p Bios Issue

[ Edited ]

Zuberi wrote:

Hi,

I have recently updated notebook EliteBook 8440p bios from HP site download, It seems to me that new bios version is not compatiable with Windows 7. The win7 is unable to update drivers specially audio and finger print sensor is also not working.  Whereas if i install WinXP every thing is working fine.

How can I restore old bios of the system? (when i update new bios setup it make backup of my old bios) now I like to restore the old bios so that I can run my notebook with win7.

Please help...

This is a quote from a BIOS update for your notebook. 

"HP highly recommends users do not revert back to system BIOS versions F.0A or older. Flashing a BIOS version prior to F.0B after updating the BIOS version to F.0B will cause the system to not boot and will render the system board useless."

However the updates are compatible with:

Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (64-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (64-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (64-bit), Microsoft Windows XP Professional 

The latest update I can find is F.11 (25 Nov 2010). 

Be advised that BIOS is cross platform firmware . It does not even matter if you have Linux installed. 

Which version of Windows Ultimate do you have?        (32 or 64-bit?)

Those two devices you are having problems with will work if you can find the operating system appropriate drivers. 

64-bit validity fingerprint sensor driver   32-bit validity fingerprint sensor driver

64-bit Audio driver                                      32-bit Audio driver

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Zuberi
Message 3 of 10 (10,415 Views)

Thank you for your prompt response.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit version.

I downloaded the audio setup and run it. The setup runs smoothly but at a later stage it take few min and show following message "Please wait while the system update the audio configuration" and after few min an error occured which says ... "The hardware deducted is not supported by this IDT software package. The installation will be aborted". Whereas this is the same audio setup which i use to run before BIOS update and it works fine for me.

The current version in my system is  Hewlett-Packard 68CCU Ver. F.11, 11/25/2010.

The finger print sensor dirver installs perfectly but it didn't work when i swap my finger.  When i open HP protection Tool Security Manager >> HP Protection Tools >> Security Manager Setup

It says that "HP ProtectionTool Login Security is turned off ".

How can i resolve these issues.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 10 (10,121 Views)

Honor Student
Matty777
Message 5 of 10 (10,151 Views)

Does anyone know how to get the BIOS chip into a readable and noncorrupt state after unsuccessfully trying to upgrade the BIOS.  The laptop does not bootup anymore, when you switch it on, the panel lights come on, the one which is for WiFi and Bluetooth is blue, rest are red, then two more start flashing, one has a what looks like a padlock with a '1' next to it and the other adjacent one looks like  a padlock picture with an 'A' beside to it, they flash and flash and flash then they go off and the computer is then frozen.

How can I get the BIOS back to its original state, I shouldn't have applied the swxxxx patch to upgrade  the bios. Now the whole computer is stuffed :smileysad:

Honor Student
Matty777
Message 6 of 10 (10,146 Views)

I recently update (or thought that I was updating) the bios on my Elitebook 8440p i5. During the update nothing came up saying that this was an uncompatible driver or program or was uncomptible with this notebook. Anyway then it rebooted.

It has never rebooted again. All that happens now is that all the panel light come on, that about 1 second later two more adjacent lights come on, one has a padlock and a "1" next to it and the other a padlock and "A" next to it. They flash for a long time, then stop. Then the laptop is frozen.

I have no idea what BIOS was previos to the one I upgraded. I can find the program that used to upgrade the bios. It was on the HP software update site for the 8440p elitebook and I downloaded it.

How can install another bios, or re-flash, when I cant even get into the computer????

Your help would be really appreciated.

It seems as though you know all about this.

Murtaza Kermali

love@exemail.com.au

Honor Student
whitexplorer
Message 7 of 10 (8,229 Views)

I download EliteBook 8440p bios from here http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

and I flashed it, then my laptop doesn't boot at all.

I used usb thum drive to restore it, but I failed.

Please help me...

Honor Student
AwesomeGurtej
Message 8 of 10 (5,675 Views)

Does u'r problem resolved????
b'coz i to have the same problem with my elitebook 8440p
Honor Student
xamti
Message 9 of 10 (5,383 Views)

Has anyone been able to get any support to resolve this issue with corrupted bios installation from HP resources ????

Very frustrating when HP is not providing solutions to a known and repeatable issue
Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 10 of 10 (5,356 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello AwesomeGurtej and xamti.  I understand you're both having this BIOS issue.

Are you currently able to boot into Windows?  If so, there is a newer BIOS update.  Here is a direct link.

If you're not able to boot into Windows what happens when you turn the notebook on?

I hope you have a great day.  I'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation