Enable AHCI in Windows 8 / BIOS - HP Envy Sleekbook 6 - 1153eo (4102 Views)
Honor Student
th0d
Message 1 of 8 (4,102 Views)
Accepted Solution

Enable AHCI in Windows 8 / BIOS - HP Envy Sleekbook 6 - 1153eo

Greetings,

My computer:

HP Envy Sleekbook 6 - 1153eo

Windows 8 Pro

AHCI is currently disabled on my computer and I wish to enable it to get the most performance out of it. It can easily be enabled via the windows registry but to get it working i need to be sure that AHCI is currently enabled in the BIOS aswell. When I enter the BIOS there just isnt any advanced options available, only time and date and other basics. How do i find out wether or not AHCI is enabled in the BIOS? How do i get access to the advanced options in the BIOS to turn on AHCI (if it isnt already enabled that is)?

Thank you.

Regards,

th0d

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 8 (4,088 Views)

Re: Enable AHCI in Windows 8 / BIOS - HP Envy Sleekbook 6 - 1153eo

[ Edited ]

Hi:

The BIOS in HP consumer notebooks made in the last few years is already set to AHCI, and it cannot be changed to any other setting.

In some models that offer two hard drives, the BIOS default may be set to RAID.

Only HP business notebooks have a BIOS setting to change the controller to AHCI or IDE mode.

Go to the device manager and expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section and you should see a drive controller listed as a SATA AHCI controller.

In the case of AMD notebooks, it may just be labeled as a SATA controller.

Honor Student
th0d
Message 3 of 8 (4,079 Views)

Thanks for your quick reply.

Indeed you are correct, there is a AMD Sata controller located in the device manager. Case solved.

A followup question if you will. Why can't I access the advanced settings of the BIOS? I was wanting to try abit of undervolting (even if it's a ULV APU under the hood) and that is usually best applied from the BIOS. As it is now I have to use software based UV'ing from withing the OS which, from my experience, is sub-par in comparison to BIOS UV'ing. Sure, there might not even be any options concering CPU voltage under the advanced settings in the BIOS but I'd still like to have the freedom to access it.

Once again, thanks!

Regards,

th0d

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 8 (4,074 Views)

You're very welcome.

No HP business or consumer PC allows for owners to overclock/underclock in the BIOS settings.

What you see is what you get.

IMO, this is to reduce warranty claims when end users fry components due to overclocking the memory, CPU or GPU.

"I didn't do nothin'. It just quit working."

Honor Student
th0d
Message 5 of 8 (4,056 Views)

Indeed that makes sense, an open advanced part could indeed prove a customer supports nightmare. But still, seeing as i bought the computer and it is now mine I would still like to have it option to make changes such as cpu-clock/uv etc. But you cant have everything i guess.

Thanks for all the answers!

Regards,

th0d

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 8 (4,050 Views)

Anytime!

Student
blankspace
Message 7 of 8 (2,894 Views)

Great answer, thanks!

Top Student
miked807
Message 8 of 8 (954 Views)

NO ACHI option = also means , if you BOUGHT A NORMAL HD with that laptop and later want to install a SSD

than you scruuuweed !!!! > as (in my case) at "recovery stage" the proper driver wont get loaded ..... and yet the 'recovery process' -  install process seems to goes on ask for NEXT CD/DVD!!!

SO after your REBOOT = you get to see the HP LOGO endlesSS ..... and HP SUPPORT tells =you got 'illegal hardware' @!@

DOH !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation