Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Is there a way to enable num lock on startup for the HP envy x360?  It is frustrating to enable it, I use the pin method on windows 8, simly because its only 4 character and I don't have to hit enter. There is also no light on the key to indicate its status. 

BIOS Details:

Insyde, version: F.06 

Released: 6/12/14

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @wmhp ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're trying to find a way to enable the Num Lock feature on startup.

Try this simple regedit: 

1. Run Registry Editor. (Windows Key + R, regedit, OK)
2. Browse to (and click on) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard
3. Change the value for InitialKeyboardIndicators from 0 to 2.

NOTE: Always back up the registry before making changes. To do this open the regedit window and click File > Export... Save the file to a location you will remember. If something happens after editing the registry you can boot into safe mode and open regedit to import the backed up version.

The Registry should remember if the Num Lock is on or off when you shut down your notebook. Make sure the Num Lock is enabled before shutting down your PC.

Let me know if that works for you. 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @wmhp ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're trying to find a way to enable the Num Lock feature on startup.

Try this simple regedit: 

1. Run Registry Editor. (Windows Key + R, regedit, OK)
2. Browse to (and click on) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard
3. Change the value for InitialKeyboardIndicators from 0 to 2.

NOTE: Always back up the registry before making changes. To do this open the regedit window and click File > Export... Save the file to a location you will remember. If something happens after editing the registry you can boot into safe mode and open regedit to import the backed up version.

The Registry should remember if the Num Lock is on or off when you shut down your notebook. Make sure the Num Lock is enabled before shutting down your PC.

Let me know if that works for you. 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

My mistake for hitting solved...However the value was already set at 2.

HP Recommended

Hey wmhp,

You may need to make the change in a slightly different path of the registry instead of the current user level. Steps are pretty much the same though:

The location is HKEY_USERS\Default\Control Panel\Keyboard and again change the value to 2. Don't worry if its currently something like 2147483648.

This should do it for you. 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

@Great-Deku-Tree wrote:

Hey wmhp,

You may need to make the change in a slightly different path of the registry instead of the current user level. Steps are pretty much the same though:

The location is HKEY_USERS\Default\Control Panel\Keyboard and again change the value to 2. Don't worry if its currently something like 2147483648.

This should do it for you. 🙂

This worked for my HP Spectre X360 and Logitech K750 keyboard.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

I also have a HP Envy. I checked both of these things. The first was allready set to 2, but the second was set on the long number. I made a back-up of the old settings and changed the long number also to 2. I shut down my pc and started it up again, but my numlock wasn't enabled. I restarted my pc (so not shut down and start up again) and then it was allready enabled. So I shut it down again and turned my laptop on again but again numlock wasn't enabled. So what other step do I have to do or what other settings do I have to change? I also entered the BIOS but couldn't find numlock there (on other PC's this is possible though). 

BTW in both of the situations my numlock was on before shutting down/restarting my laptop. So what do I have to do?

HP Recommended

So to toggle the numlock, one simply opens the registry, searches for reg key, edits it and closes out, that is an amazing fix. Good thing we don't have to run a script and reboot whenever we want to toggle the CAPS. Do the computer designers ever actually use the computers they make?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.