Question

Tutor
KenH246
Message 1 of 3 (10,610 Views)

Endless loop Windows 7 update never completes, cannot boot laptop

Less than a year old HP laptop running 64-bit  Windows 7. All was well until yesterday.

There was an automatic Windows update, and the machine went into an endless loop:

"Preparing to configure Windows - Do not shut down your computer" followed by "Configuring Windows - xx percent complete" followed by "Shutting down" followed by "Starting Windows" followed by "Preparing to configure..."

It did this endlessly.

We forced shutdown by holding down the power button during one of the "shutting down" segments. Rebooted and got the same thing. Tried a hard re-set, removing the battery and all; same thing. Went through various diagnostics at boot, all were fine; but got same result.

But we never get to Windows actually launching.

What can I do to get out of this loop?

Student
birchrun
Message 2 of 3 (10,506 Views)

Re: Endless loop Windows 7 update never completes, cannot boot laptop

me too~  what is going on?  same exact problem, by new laptop worked great until last nite.  i noticed there was a windows update this wk and not sure if that did it or what  how can i get out of this endless loop??

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 3 of 3 (10,503 Views)

Re: Endless loop Windows 7 update never completes, cannot boot laptop

[ Edited ]

2 possibilities

After installing updates from Windows Update, you may get into a Reboot loop where you machines gets to “configuring updates" then freezes fails or reboots.
Solution: 

1a. Boot from the Windows System Repair Disc and choose the repair option in the lower left hand corner, choose System Restore, and select a Restore Point predating the attempted installation of the updates.

1b. If you don't have the DVD and Vista/W7 came preinstalled on the machine, use F8 at the bios splash screen to get the Windows Advanced Screen, choose "Repair Your Computer" from the list, let Windows RE load then do a Windows System Restore.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. If restore fails, load the recovery environment "command prompt" enter

Del C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

Hit enter key

exit recovery environment and restart the pc, you may get configuring updates message again but be patient, the desktop should load. Create a manual restore point and Turn off Automatic updates until you can figure out which update caused the problem..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation