Question

Tutor
HTWingNut
Message 1 of 10 (9,678 Views)

Envy 14 - Display Brightness keys don't work any more.

On my Envy 14, my display brightness (Fn+F2 / F3) keys don't work any more. All the other quick launch keys (i.e. keyboard backlight, volume controls, web browser, wi-fi on/off, etc) still work fine.

Someone had suggested to turn off the PC, unplug, remove battery, and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. That fixed an issue I had before with the wi-fi light not changing color when enabling/disabling. But it doesn't correct this issue.

I uninstalled and resintalled the HP QuickLaunch software as well, and still no success. I even reset the BIOS to stock settings with no success, and then updated the BIOS from F.05 to F.06 and still have the issue.

Any suggestions?

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 10 (9,668 Views)

Re: Envy 14 - Display Brightness keys don't work any more.

[ Edited ]

You could always try a Windows restore point and pick a date when you know they were working.

Go to control panel and find "Recovery"  (you may have to choose "Icon" view to find it) in that window click on "Open System Restore" and choose a custom restore point.

This usually will work, but the trick here is to find what update or whatever happened in the first place that caused the failure.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 3 of 10 (9,661 Views)

Check if display brightness Tile is missing from windows Mobility Center...if that is the cases, than reinstalling Video driver, should help restoring the funcationality back....

Just check, I hope you have disabled the Action Key Mode in BIOS before doing Fn+F2 / F3

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Tutor
HTWingNut
Message 4 of 10 (9,646 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have tried both with BIOS for function keys + F2/F3 and for just straight function keys. I also did reinstall video drivers with no success.

Brightness tile exists and works in mobility center too.

If I switch to Intel graphics it works though. Every other quicklaunch key works fine.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 5 of 10 (9,637 Views)

Hmmm....that means the ATI driver is playing up....Try an install Just ATI driver from ATI's Website and check...Before doing that let me be sure... you have installed this driver....http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-84423-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Tutor
HTWingNut
Message 6 of 10 (9,621 Views)

Yep, those are the drivers in the SWSetup Folder.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 7 of 10 (9,605 Views)

Can I have the driver version of the ATI Driver?

Tutor
HTWingNut
Message 8 of 10 (9,598 Views)

Well, I did a full uninstall, had to use ccleaner and glary utilities to clean the registry. Even uninstalled the Windows 7 video drivers. Then installed the 10.3 drivers from HP, now it works. Something got screwed up somehow, but that fixed it. What a pain in the rump. A couple other people over at notebookreview.com forums had a similar issue.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 9 of 10 (9,593 Views)

YA...These things happens... Some where something brakes in the software chain...

Great to hear it is working now, Enjoy your notebook! :smileyhappy:

Student
jj7jj7
Message 10 of 10 (5,280 Views)

Re: Envy 4 - Display Brightness keys don't work any more.

hey I'm having the same problem and I just turned on my computer for the first time yesterday. I did tech support and they sent me an email bout how to fix it, but i looked at it and where it says to go to control panel in displays and power panel and click on adjust brightness... I dnt see tht anywhere in my control panel... is there a way to fix the problem w/o downloading drivers? and if I have o download drivers would u be able to help me step by step bc i dnt want to do anything wrong and mess up. or should I go to greek squad in best buy (where I got the laptop) and have then fix it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation