Question

Intern
adrstudio
Message 1 of 4 (275 Views)
Accepted Solution

Envy 15 15-j011dx can't upgrade to 8.1 after USB Recorvering

Hi,

I bought a Envy 15-j011dx Windows 8 and on the first night with it I upgrade to Windows 8.1 using Wfter indows Store without any problem.

After a lot of tests and using it for a while I decide to restore to factory conditon to make a final instalation. Well the recovery didin't work, so I ordered a USB Recovery from HP and finaly could recovery to almost the same factore condition without any problem.

I update the BIOS to F.36 that is not av

Then I decide to upgrade the Windows to 8.1 and it blank the screen after saying 40% of drivers installed and stays that way forever. When I press turn off once and on again it tries to Continue the installation and then reboot saying it will recovery the old version and the old version comes back withou problem.

Before the upgrade I update everything from HP and Microsoft.

I tryed it several times, recovered from USB twice, between the trials I delete the unnecessary files to delete the Win8.1 installation to download it again.

I'm sure some driver is not the same from the original Win 8 from fatory and the USB Recover also from HP factory.

My question is how can I solve this problem, any one of you have the same problem ?

Thanks,

Intern
flyfisher604
Message 2 of 4 (253 Views)

Re: Envy 15 15-j011dx can't upgrade to 8.1 after USB Recorvering

I think you've got the same 8.1 issue others are having. Search the forum for Envy 8.1 update.

Intern
adrstudio
Message 3 of 4 (241 Views)

What I don't understand is why when I installed the 8.1 with the windows 8 that came with it when I bought it worked and then after I recovered the system with the USB Recover that I bought from HP It don't work anymore, is the same hardware.

The only difference on the computer is that I update the  BIOS to F.36 while the 8.1 where installed the first time. This BIOS is not available anymore, I suspect that there is a Big BUG on this BIOS.

I tried with updates and without the updates.

The OS originally installed is different from the HP USB Recover.

Any tip about this BIOS ?

Intern
adrstudio
Message 4 of 4 (140 Views)

OK I could fix !!!!

The problem was with video driver.

0. Do all the automatic updates but not the video.

1. First I went to Control Panel / Programs and Features and uninstall Intell Graphics Driver. Yes, on Programs and Features.

2. The uninstall the Intell 4000 on Device Manager deleting the driver. I had to do it a few times until I could keep the driver from Microsoft WDM (or something like this), not the intel  4000, make sure that you can restart and the driver is not Intel 4000 anymore.

3. Copy the video driver update for Windows 8.1 with name sp63750.exe on your desktop, do it and I'll explain later.

4. Update the Windows to 8.1 from the Store, it will install without problem.

5. As soom you enter on Windows 8.1 for the first time very quickly go to Desktop and run the video update sp63750.exe. If your screen become black before you do it, you'll have to turn off your computer and try to boot in SAFE MODE pressing F8 and install the driver sp63750.exe. Is not easy to get Safe Mode, I had to do it several times, that's why is better be quick and install the first time.

That's it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation