Question

Honor Student
coldfusionSocia
Message 1 of 18 (15,246 Views)
Accepted Solution

Envy 15 / windows 7 64bit / quick launch buttons / customize

I just bought an Envy 15.  The laptop is great with the exception of the calculator key located to the left of the lft ctrl key.  

I despise the thing.  I wish it would go away and am considering removing the key all together.

I've try launch to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons" to see if I can customize that key to do left ctrl and the quick launch program will not load.  I've downloaded , installed, reboot, the latest quick launch "sp45889.exe, (1/1 , 24.29M) to no help.

Please someone tell me how to make the calculator quick key execute the "left ctrl" command. 

Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 18 (15,316 Views)

Re: Envy 15 / windows 7 64bit / quick launch buttons / customize

You can try installing the QuickLaunch software from the following weblink:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45058.exe

And then configure the QuickLaunch...however I suggest you uninstall any existing version of QuickLaunch software from Control Panel - Programs and Features.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
PhD Student
Bryan_N
Message 3 of 18 (15,316 Views)

Hi, I think I have a solution for you - testing it now.

-Bryan
I am an HP employee
Honor Student
coldfusionSocia
Message 4 of 18 (15,304 Views)

Vidya,

Thanks for the suggestion.  

However, I followed your instructions and this did not help...

PhD Student
Bryan_N
Message 5 of 18 (15,297 Views)

Ok I tested and this works.

I used this a couple of years ago when HP had a 17" notebook with a really small right shift key, and I remapped the arrow key to be a shift key.

I understand your pain - I am a touch typist and hit the same calculator key myself :smileyhappy:

download "keytweak"
http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

launch Keytweak
Select "Teach mode", "Full Teach mode"

Click "begin teach mode"
press the calculator key. You should see number populate in the "scancode of key #1"
Press the left CTRL key. You should see numbers populate in the "scancode of key #2"
Click the button "remap key#1 to key#2"
Click on Apply, and it will ask you to reboot.

After that, you will now have two left-CTRL keys.

You can also use this app to remap any other keys.

Please confirm this resolves the issue, and click on 'Accepted Solution" if it does help, you can click on Kudos if you like too.

-Bryan
I am an HP employee
Honor Student
coldfusionSocia
Message 6 of 18 (15,279 Views)

Bryan my friend, you are a saint! 

Thanks you so much! 

Honor Student
johnkaasgaard
Message 7 of 18 (14,407 Views)

Hi Bryan

I got the new ENVY - with various functionality located on the positions where we normally has the F1..F12.....

Do you have a similarly solution for the top Function key ?

I did a try with the tools you propossed - but it seams not the work.

Windows 7 is catching the [F1] giving '?' or "HP Help & Support"  leading to HP support program starts up ... not [F1] ..

And the same goes with the other functions on the row [F1..F12]

Another solution could be to reverse/invert the [fn] key ...

rg,

johnk

Student
biggysmallz
Message 8 of 18 (14,199 Views)

I'd also like to know how turn on the function keys by default.  I use F1-F5 so many more tiems than the cooresponding action keys, it's driving me bonkers.

Thanks to the poster providing the solution to remap the calculator key.  I was also about to smash that key out of existance.  Tired of gaming and having a calculator pop up.

Tutor
kasperknop
Message 9 of 18 (14,174 Views)

Is there any easy way to change what email client the email quick-button will open? I only use gmail but it opens windows live =/

Tutor
brinko99
Message 10 of 18 (13,987 Views)

[ Edited ]

... my first day with my new Envy 15-1050nr, ouch, what frustration.

Firstly, the QuickLaunch application simply does not work.  There is no "rocket ship" QuickLaunch icon in the taskbar like other HP notebooks I've had.  There is no way to configure they keyboard or quick launch buttons.

Is this a problem with Windows 7 64bit per chance?  I'm convinced that the application should work but it simply doesn't on the Envy 15.

Why do we need QuickLaunch?

1) The function-key usage must be reversed.  The primary function of these keys must be the function, F-keys.  The volume up/down, play/stop/FF keys are cute, but we're power users.  That's why we bought the Envy and not the Pavillion.  I'm a professional software engineer and the function keys are necessary.  This is not a PC-101 keyboard.  Alt-F4 HP?

2) Mail key?  We use GMail or other web mail services.  

3) Media Bar key?  HP makes the absolute best media management software?  I think not.  "Watch internet video", seriously?  We are not Grandma who purchased the Envy.

4) Web key?  Chrome or Firefox is always open.  I don't need a key for opening "the web".

5) Print key?  Again, Grandma would appreciate the $2000 Envy.

6) Calculator key!  Hey, this is actually not a bad idea, I'm always opening the calculator!  But... lower left is where the giant Ctrl key should be!  Fn-F1 would make a great calculator shortcut.

For the record, I do recognize that there are key mapping programs that may alleviate this issue.  But.  I really do believe that HP will fix this.  I used to work at HP and know that there are a bunch of geeks there that care about these issues.  The Envy is HP's answer to the MacBook Pro.  Go to an Apple store and even with no experience on a Mac, you'll be able to "fix" the keyboard layout in 1 minute.  

These are software issues, HP will fix this. As a stockholder, I Pray! To! God!

-- Terrence Jones

Terenity.com

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation