Question

Student
markellis408
Message 1 of 14 (699 Views)

Error 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 and windows can't be updated, previous OS restored

HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j024ea Notebook

I have updated all drivers (although the automated scanner tool on the HP support site says it is not working for the last 72 hours) and have tried clearing the store cache, running a scan tool as suggested on a MS forum and I am still unable to upgrade to 8.1. This is particularly annoying as this is a brand new laptop and I am unable to find any assistance on the issue, short of calling HP. That is my next step but I hoped that someone on this forum would be able to assist?

Thanks in advance

Honor Student
Yusso
Message 2 of 14 (678 Views)

Re: Error 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 and windows can't be updated, previous OS restored

[ Edited ]

Answer this please, I have the very same problem.

Top Student
Saurav_Sureka
Message 3 of 14 (551 Views)

Re: Error 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 and windows can't be updated, previous OS restored

I purchased a HP Pavillion 15 n012tx laptop last week and had the same error 7-8 times.. Was getting stuck at 89% in "Getting Devices Ready" stage.. Finally managed to install 8.1..

1) Install all Windows Updates(even the optional ones)

2) Run the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant.. Then uninstall all programs it states as incompatible.. (For Norton, use the Norton Cleaner after uninstalling just to make sure)
3) Update all your drivers from the HP website..

In my case the problem lay with the Ralink WiFi and Bluetooth chip, uninstalling, disabling or updating the drivers didn't help..

And the HP system doesn't let you disable it from the BIOS..
So I manually opened the chip from underneath the laptop and disconnected it and took it out..
Then tried.. Worked like a charm..

Only one problem my Bluetooth doesn't work in Windows 8.1, thankfully the Wi-Fi works though.. If I install the bluetooth drivers, Windows 8.1 refuses to start up after restart .. My sole hope is that maybe Ralink will release a driver that would support Windows 8.1.. Else it's a choice between having my bluetooth and Windows 8.. Or Windows 8.1 and no bluetooth..

And do not bother contacting HP Support, the guy I spoke with simply said, "Sir, Windows 8.1 will not run on laptop!"
When I asked him the reason, he said, "My system says so!" 

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 4 of 14 (510 Views)

Hi folks,

Here is a link to a thread written by Dunidar.

He explains how "When it comes to upgrading to Windows 8, Microsoft recommends that you download and run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant to check if your PC meets the system requirements for Windows 8. The Windows 8.1 system requirements are nearly the same as the Windows 8. If your PC can run Windows 8, in most cases you can get the free update to Windows 8.1. Upgrade Assistant will also check program and device compatibility, and provide a free compatibility report."

I hope this helps.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Yusso
Message 5 of 14 (508 Views)

Nope, windows upgrade assistant says everything is fne, error 0xC1900101 - 0x30018  says otherwise thou

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 6 of 14 (501 Views)

Hi Yusso,

Okay, let's try disabling all start up items except Microsoft items, restart the computer  and then try again to update.

Open Task Manager and and disable all Start-up items that are not Microsoft.

This Document may help > Using Microsoft System Configuration (Windows 8) Startup Tab.

Let me know if this does the trick.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Yusso
Message 7 of 14 (472 Views)

It did work! Thank you very much! better support from HP than from MIcrosoft on a Windows' issue.

Top Student
Saurav_Sureka
Message 8 of 14 (451 Views)

What about the Bluetooth drivers that crash Windows 8.1?
HP Support Agent
Dunidar
Message 9 of 14 (429 Views)

Hello Saurav_Sureka

I hope you had a good weekend. I will need to get a bit more information concerning your Ralink adapter to be able to provide a more specific answer to your question. Could you post which Ralink adapter you have? There should be a model number as well such as Ralink 5360 or something along those lines. I can try to find you a functioning driver specific to your adapter with this information.

Again thank you for bringing your question to the HP Forums we are happy to help where we can. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
Top Student
Saurav_Sureka
Message 10 of 14 (395 Views)

I have a 15 day old HP Pavilion 15-n012tx Notebook which I manually upgraded to Windows 8.1 64 bit after disabling and uninstalling the Ralink Bluetooth PCIe Adapter / Ralink Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter.The Bluetooth driver on the HP site makes my laptop crash on startup if installed. 
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-125314-1&cc=in&dlc=en&lc=en...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation