Question

Honor Student
dboduch2
Message 1 of 11 (11,435 Views)

Error Code 0xe0ef000e - Please Help!

Sunday morning, my hard drive crashed and I tried to re-install the OS, trying both the recovery disks and loading it directly from the hard drive, only to have it "freeze" at the same point each time.

I ran a diagnostic on the hard drive and it told me I had to replace it.

After talking directly which HP regarding my make and model, they sent me a new drive. The tech said that the OS was already loaded on the new hard drive so I wouldn't need to use my recovery disks.

I received the new hard drive yesterday, put it in my laptop, but when I booted up my computer, I received the message "Boot manager missing". I ran the diagnostic on the hard drive and everything was okay with it.

The HP tech said it could be something with the connection between the hard drive and the motherboard, but I tried my old hard drive again and it was able to boot up (and begin installing the OS, only to freeze again).  

With the new HD installed, I tried loading the OS directly from my recovery disks instead, and this is where I got the error code: 0xe0ef000e. I was about 65% done with the installation when this message popped up.

If someone could please offer some advice on what to do next I would really appreciate it!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 11 (11,429 Views)

Re: Error Code 0xe0ef000e - Please Help!

Hi,

First of all I would try resetting your bios to its default settings by tapping away at f10 as you start the PC to enter your system bios.  Press f5 to load the defaults and use the arrow keys to highlight Yes and hit Enter.  Now press f10 to save the changes, select Yes and hit Enter.

See if your Recovery DVDs install the OS properly now.

If you still get the error you could use the process below to make sure that there are no hidden partitions etc interfering with the installation.

Download and install Killdisk on the link below.

http://software.lsoft.net/KillDiskSuiteFree-Setup.exe

Download and install ImgBurn on the link below.

http://download.cnet.com/ImgBurn/3000-2646_4-10847481.html

Go to the Kill Disk application you have installed in All Programs, open the main folder, then select Bootable Disk creators and from that select Bootable DOS CD Creator which will burn the bootable ISO to a blank CD.

During the next process do not worry about any warnings as your Recovery DVDs can reformat the HDD.

Insert this CD in to your PC and restart it to boot from the Killdisk CD and follow the on screen instructions.

A brief description of the process is here Killdisk.

Use this to wipe the whole of the Hard Drive including all partitions.  When the process is complete, insert the first Recovery DVD and restart the PC to start the installation.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 3 of 11 (11,423 Views)

[ Edited ]

Test your memory before you do anything else, I would hate to see you go to alot of trouble when you only have a bad memory module.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/How-to-test-RAM-and-HDD-Hard-Drive/td-p/301638

please post your full model number and OS.

Honor Student
dboduch2
Message 4 of 11 (11,414 Views)

[ Edited ]

My full model number is HP Pavilion dv4-2045dx Entertainment Notebook PC

My OS is Windows 7. 

Would a new hard drive require me to run all of these tests and corrections? My main concern is the boot manager is missing. Will these suggestions help solve that problem??

Thank you for your help!

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 5 of 11 (11,402 Views)

1. No, just test the memory, we have to rule out possibilities.

2. We hope so.

This is a user to user forum, just so you know.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 11 (11,401 Views)

Hi,

I would definetely run the test Mumbodog suggested.  If your memory is ok, the process I mentioned will atleast mean you're starting the installation with a clean HDD.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
dannyleininger
Message 7 of 11 (6,107 Views)

I have also run into the 0ex0ef000e error code during recovery following installing a new WD HDD in my G72. The only difference is that I'm using the Recovery Discs which I burned rather than the HP discs.  The Error Message appears about half way thru Recovery Disc 2.

I was planning to download the patch mentioned above BUT it clearly states this is only necessary when using the HP Recovery Discs NOT the discs I burned myself???

I have tested Memory and HDD from Setup Utility and both have passed.

In calling Tech Support, because I'm out of warranty the only information they would give me was to purchase the HP Recovery Discs and try those. They suggested my Recovery Disc #2 was corrupted.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Honor Student
lachlan777
Message 8 of 11 (6,029 Views)

just happened to me,have a pavilion dv7,purchased new smaller single platter hitachi travel star 7200 spin 8mb cache started clean install using disks made before complete hdd failure,was64% throuh project when recived code error,OxeOefoooe checked memory as per this thread came up ok .where to go poss reinstal again?

Honor Student
lachlan777
Message 9 of 11 (6,029 Views)

Re: Error Code 0xe0ef000e -

just happened to me,have a pavilion dv7,purchased new smaller single platter hitachi travel star 7200 spin 8mb cache started clean install using disks made before complete hdd failure,was64% throuh project when recived code error,OxeOefoooe checked memory as per this thread came up ok .where to go poss reinstal again?

Honor Student
dannyleininger
Message 10 of 11 (6,024 Views)

Re: Error Code 0xe0ef000e -

I have broken down and ordered the HP disks which should be here within a week.  My last hope??? Otherwise, I have a very slightly used HDD for sale.  :smileysurprised:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation